Volcanic Drakes breathe lava instead of fire. The antacid vendor at Thorium Point does a brisk business with them.
How to get
|Adventure||Defeat in Blackrock Mountain 5th wing - Hidden Laboratory||Regular||2|
- The mana cost of this card is reduced by 1 for each minion that has already died during the current turn (including minions killed during the 'start of turn' phase by effects such as ).
- The mana cost of this card cannot be reduced below 0. However, further cost-reductions can help in countering cost-increasing effects like .
- This card has an in-hand effect: it modifies its own mana cost only while in the player's hand, and not while the card is anywhere else.
Ideally you want to make this card cost 4 or less mana to get value. You can either trade minions or cast AoE like in order to achieve this. Keep in mind that its stat distribution makes it vulnerable to your opponent's 4-damage options. Since this is a 6-drop you can use to create another 6-drop minion. Recombobulator will use the Drake's base mana cost of 6, even if it was played for less.
This minion has great potential as part of, or even when against a Paladin deck. Their hero power and will create a multitude of bodies by themselves, which can make playing Volcanic Drake a cheap and devastating swing in board control.
In a given dragonflight, not all dragonkin are equally powerful. Drakes are younger dragons, and Nefarian keeps a bunch of these around to do his bidding. They do it all, including acting as guards, enforcers, mounts for favored allies (lookin’ at you Rend), cook, clean, do chores around the lair, and are really great at disposing of excess adventurers.
They have a weakness for snacks, so if you have some tasty corpses handy, a drake will be your best friend forever.
World of Warcraft
- Drakes are dragons that are still relatively young in comparison to their ancient brethren. Drakes are almost always flying while moving, while nether drakes tend to walk. Fully grown dragons are bigger and typically walk while moving. Drakes can be found throughout Azeroth, but are especially prevalent in some areas, such as the Burning Steppes, the Swamp of Sorrows, Winterspring, and in many dungeons.
- The artwork for this card comes from the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game "Twilight of the Dragons" series, for the card Obsidian Skyterror.
- Patch 22.214.171.12411 (2015-03-31): Added.
- The Horrors of the Hidden Laboratory. (2015-03-26).