|Set:||Forged in the Barrens|
|Abilities:||Battlecry, Deal damage, Freeze|
|Tags:||Area of effect, Freeze-related|
|Voice actor:||Kayleigh McKee|
Battlecry: Freeze all enemy minions. If any are already Frozen, deal 4 damage to them instead.
Varden Dawngrasp could wield fire, summon hailstorms, and morph a night elf into a sheep with a snap of their fingers. Knowing how malleable reality could be, certain labels felt downright trivial.
- For other representations of Varden Dawngrasp, see Varden Dawngrasp (disambiguation).
How to get[edit | edit source]
|Golden Varden Dawngrasp||3200||1600|
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Varden Dawngrasp plays similarly to playing Frost Nova, but for 1 extra mana, providing a 3/3 body, and also acts as removal for Frozen minions. If you also happen to have Flurry (Rank 1), you could combo the two cards to freeze up to 3 enemy minions and then deal 4 damage to them using Varden. However, personally Varden has a playstyle that plays more like a stall card that also gains you some board advantage. Worth noting that Varden only hits minions, so you can't use them as a burst tool with cards like Freezing Potion or Frostbolt.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- ▶️<Music stinger>
- ▶️By my calculations, you need to chill out!
- ▶️<death sound>
Lore[edit | edit source]
Varden Dawngrasp is unique to Hearthstone as one of the ten mercenaries introduced in Forged in the Barrens.
Amongst the four children Elise was guiding ~1m21s into the reveal trailer of Journey to Un'Goro (they salute her at the end) three resembled adult mercenaries later seen in the Forged in the Barrens set: the slingshot-wielder resembles Varden while the orc resembles Rokara and the tauren resembles Guff Runetotem. After this was highlighted on Reddit, Matt London initially replied to a "kids are all grown up?" question about this on Twitter stating it was non-coincidental, implying it was intended., but later the day in response to a reaction stated he did not intend to confirm anything.
Other depictions of a red-haired elf child in Journey to Un'Goro are in the Choose Your Path and Fire Plume's Heart spell cards, though the character in them is wearing a short full-brimmed hat like Elise the Trailblazer or Sir Finley's, not a long front-brimmed cap.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Varden Dawngrasp is the first confirmed non-binary character to be introduced to the Warcraft franchise.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 188.8.131.52662 (2021-03-25): Added.
References[edit | edit source]
- Cam Shea (2021-03-19). We Reveal a Hearthstone: Forged in the Barrens Legendary Card!. IGN.
- TEnOTT. Mercenaries reminds me Ungoro adventure kids.
- "No coincidence ;-)" —Matt London on Twitter. (2021-03-22).
- "Update: Matt London now states that he did not intend to confirm this. We're leaving the article as-is, just take it with a grain of salt." —Journey to Un'Goro's Junior Explorers Have All Grown Up! Some Story of The Mercenaries Confirmed by Blizzard.
- "This was not intended as confirmation. Sorry! You’ll have to wait a little longer to learn more about the mercenaries." —Matt London on Twitter. (2021-03-22).
- Kayleigh McKee on Twitter. (2021-03-24).