|Wiki tags:||Random, Taunt-generating, Totem-generating|
Summon a random Totem.
- The four Totems that can be summoned by this Hero Power - Healing Totem, Searing Totem, Stoneclaw Totem, and Strength Totem - are usually referred to as the "basic" Totems.
- This Hero Power randomly chooses one of the four basic Totems you do not already control, and summons it.
- Example: If a return effect such as Youthful Brewmaster or Sap is used on a basic Totem you control, you have a chance to summon another copy of it using Totemic Call. If you then play the Totem that was previously returned to your hand, you can have two copies of the same basic Totem on the battlefield at the same time.
- Example: If one of your basic Totems has been taken control of by the opponent, you will have a chance to summon another copy of it using Totemic Call since you do not control it anymore.
- If you already control all four basic Totems, you cannot use this Hero Power.
- As usual, Totems will be summoned to the right of any friendly minions currently on the board.
- You cannot use this Hero Power if your board is full.
- If a player has this Hero Power, Justicar Trueheart's Battlecry will replace it with Totemic Slam, which allows to choose which basic Totem to summon without being restricted by the basic Totems already on the battlefield.
Of all the Hero Powers, Totemic Call is the most random. While it has the potential to prove quite useful, it introduces a large measure of RNG to the player's actions. While this can be fun, it can also prove frustrating, and unreliable. Making the most of Totemic Call requires the ability to predict the possible outcomes of using it, and improvise effectively in response to which minion is summoned.
Totemic Call is a great dump for shamans' spare mana. The 'lucky dip' nature of this Hero Power makes it ideal for non-critical expenditure. It is most similar to the paladin's Reinforce, but offers a far wider range of strategic uses as well as less reliably combat-usable minions.
The one-of-each-totem limit generally prevents players from acquiring multiple instances of a given totem, but also allows players some degree of predictive ability when anticipating the results of using Totemic Call; players who already have a Searing Totem and Stoneclaw Totem active have a 50% of gaining a Healing Totem, and a 50% chance of gaining a Strength Totem. This can be useful when calculating the odds of obtaining the desired totem.
Strategically, players can preferentially preserve existing totems in order to increase the odds of summoning a different totem next turn. Even within a turn, a player might choose to use Totemic Call prior to trading a totem against an enemy minion, in order to increase the chances of summoning a different totem; or after trading the totem in the hopes of gaining another of the same kind.
Healing Totem is very useful when used in conjunction with several other minions. It works especially well with high-health minions, since these have more room to take damage without being destroyed entirely. Healing Totem is most useful for maintaining board control, and rewards trading cleverly with the opponent's minions.
The Totem restores health at the end of your turn. Since this takes places before your opponent has the chance to act, its healing can be taken into account when planning attacks.
Searing Totem is the only one of the totems that can be used to attack (without improvement from another effect), but is also the weakest.
Strength Totem has the same effect as Master Swordsmith. Functionally, its uses are similar to Healing Totem - it benefits from having other minions on the board, though instead of restoring Health, it buffs Attack. Unlike the Healing Totem, it only affects one random minion at a time, so it can be more difficult to plan around ; on the other hand, it offers a more offensive utility, helping minions trade up or contributing to attack the enemy Hero, similarly to Searing Totem.
- The artwork for this card comes from the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game "Wrathgate" series, for the card Fusion Totem.