Pirates are into this new fad called "Planking".
How to get
|Card packs||Regular, Golden||1~2|
Southsea Deckhand has Charge while a weapon is equipped. This makes him ideally used in a deck that has a lot of weapons. A rogue deck is particularly good due to their hero power Dagger Mastery, which allows them to almost constantly have a weapon equipped.
Note that Southsea Deckhand's ability is not a Battlecry. In particular, if Southsea Deckhand is played and the weapon is then lost (e.g. by attacking with a weapon with only 1 remaining Durability), the Deckhand will lose Charge and be unable to attack, so order of attack can be important. Conversely, it is not necessary to equip a weapon before playing Southsea Deckhand; equipping a weapon at any time while he is on the board will cause him to immediately gain Charge.
As a 1-mana Pirate, it's a great activator for Patches the Pirate, letting you start off the game with 3/2 worth of stats. For rogues, Dagger Mastery with The Coin or Counterfeit Coin on turn 2 will give you a head start on pushing out damage early game.
Additionally, it is a fantastic activator for Bloodsail Cultist. Using only 4 mana, you can give your weapon +1/+1 and attack with a 2/1 Charge minion as well as developing a 3/4.
Southsea Deckhand is a member of the Southsea Freebooters.
- The Southsea Freebooters, a small fleet of pirates, have no landward home — at least none that authorities have found — but are a common sight along the coast of the Barrens and Tanaris, and have even recently appeared in the flooded Thousand Needles. Their connection with the Northsea Freebooters is unclear, but the Northsea Freebooters seem to have a severe disliking of the Southsea ones.
- The Southsea Freebooters have several bases located along the southeastern coasts of Kalimdor.
- The artwork for this card comes from the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game "The Deadmines" series, for the card Defias Pirate.
- Year of the Gryphon rotation (2021-03-30): Moved from Classic to Legacy set.
- Patch 126.96.36.19940 (April or May 2013): Card text changed from "Battlecry: Your equipped weapon gets +1 Durability." to "Has Charge while you have a weapon equipped.".