A great sniper hits the spot. Just like a delicious flank of boar. Mmmmm.
How to get
|Card packs||Regular, Golden||1~2|
- Like the other Secrets that trigger when your opponent plays a minion from their hand (, , ), Snipe triggers in the After Play Phase following the Battlecry Phase. This means that all effects and death processing related to the minion's Battlecry resolve before the game queues and resolves Secrets such as Snipe. For example, if you play a Twilight Drake into Snipe, it will gain Health from its Battlecry before Snipe triggers and deals 4 damage.
- Snipe, , , and all trigger in order of play.
- Snipe does not trigger if the minion is mortally wounded/pending destroy, such as from Sacred Trial or Mirror Entity + Knife Juggler.
- Repentance still triggers if Snipe mortally wounds the minion before it.
- Mirror Entity does not trigger if Snipe mortally wounds the minion before it.
- Sacred Trial still triggers if Snipe mortally wounds the minion before it. (This is probably a bug.)
- Snipe will trigger on the sheep made by if Snipe was played second. Conversely, Potion of Polymorph will not trigger if Snipe mortally wounded the minion first.
- Snipe, like all other Secrets that directly deal damage, is affected by Spell Damage and .
- Before Patch 7.1, Snipe triggered if the minion was mortally wounded/pending destroy, such as from Sacred Trial or Mirror Entity + Knife Juggler.
Snipe is a useful early-mid game Secret. The amount of damage it deals for its cost lets it take out most 3-mana or less minions as soon as they're played. It is best played in the early-mid game due to the fact that it essentially allows your opponent to react to it so cannot be used with a follow-up for a guaranteed kill on one of their big minions (anything with more than 4 Health). A downside is that its power scales off late game because it won't be able to one-shot stronger minions.
Arguably Snipe's greatest asset is its ability to remove minions that rely on end-of-turn triggered effects and stop combos that rely on playing a minion first, such as , , and Quest Rogues that need to play a minion before returning it to their hand.
- The artwork for this card comes from the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game "War of the Ancients" series, for the card Delinar Silvershot.
- Snipe was removed for selection in Arena on September 15, 2016 but was reinstated on December 9, 2018.
- Year of the Gryphon rotation (2021-03-30): Moved from Classic to Legacy set.
- Patch 184.108.40.20620 (2017-02-28): Now correctly triggers after .
- Patch 220.127.116.1151 (2016-03-14): Now reads "After your opponent" instead of "When your opponent".
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8u2Senk_XU (Read the description)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpwrQkFoPx0 Tested in Patch 18.104.22.16833 (LoE patch)
- Dean Ayala (2016-09-08). Hearthside Chat: Upcoming Arena Changes with Dean Ayala. Retrieved on 2019-03-26.
- Blizzard Entertainment (2018-12-19). Arena Updates – December 19 2018. Retrieved on 2019-03-26.