Rogue dance troops will sometimes Shadowstep away at the end of a performance. Crowds love it.
How to get
|Card packs||Regular, Golden||1~2|
Two copies of golden Shadowstep (Core) are obtained for winning 50 games as rogue.
- This spell has two steps:
- If Shadowstep is intercepted by your opponent's , it will return the token to your opponent's hand, not yours.
Shadowstep is commonly employed to save minions when you lack a Taunt. It also allows players to return a minion to their hand and then replay them - a useful tactic as it allows them to activate their Battlecry a second time.
Note that the "it costs (2) less" effect does not stack, and is consumed upon playing the affected minion. When you Shadowstep a 4 mana cost minion and play it again for 2 mana, if you Shadowstep it once again, the next time you play it, it will again be 2 mana, not 0. The reason for this is that mana cost enchantments are removed when the minion enters the battlefield. (For the same reason, effects use a minion's base mana cost rather than the one it had when played from the hand.)
Part of the reason for Shadowstep's design was to give rogues a way to activate Battlecries/Combo effects multiple times. However, in practice players tended toward using Shadowstep primarily to enable re-use of Charge minions such as (see below). The Blackrock Mountain card was later created in order to provide an alternate means of activating these effects.
Prior to the nerf of in September 2014, 2 x Shadowstep was often used in combination with Leeroy in Miracle Rogue decks in order to deal 18 damage in a single turn. Combined with 2 x , this total could be increased to 26 damage in a single turn, not counting other minions and weapons. Unsurprisingly, this led to an excessive level of non-interactive play, with opponents largely unable to defend against this amount of burst. The nerf increased Leeroy's mana cost to 5, preventing him from being combined with more than one Shadowstep in a turn (unless is used) and moderating the combo's power.
Shadowstep is a rogue ability from World of Warcraft. It allows rogues to step through the shadows and appear behind a target. Movement speed is also increased by 70% for 2 seconds afterwards.
- The artwork for this card comes from the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game "The Hunt for Illidan" series, for the card Shadowstep.
- Year of the Gryphon rotation (2021-03-30): Moved from Classic to Legacy set.
- Patch 126.96.36.199662 (2021-03-25): Now has Shadow spell school (previously: no spell school).
- Alpha patch 2 (2013-08-12): Now also reduces the cost of the returned minion by 2.
- Previously: Return a friendly minion to your hand. [0 mana, Common]