|Abilities:||Deal damage, Destroy|
|Tags:||Area of effect, Attack-related, Targeted|
Destroy a friendly minion and deal its Attack damage to all enemy minions.
Start with a powerful minion and stir in Shadowflame and you have a good time!
Other versions[edit | edit source]
How to get[edit | edit source]
Previous availability[edit | edit source]
- Regular Shadowflame could also be obtained as a first-time reward for first time reaching Silver 10 and Gold 10 in Ranked mode from April 1, 2020 to March 25, 2021 (or as a reward of Climbing the Ranks (2/10) and (4/10) achievements).
Notes[edit | edit source]
- This spell has two steps:
- The steps should be the other way around according to the card text, so this is a bug.
- Shadowflame can target any friendly minion. In particular:
- You can target a minion that has already attacked and is exhausted, a minion that just entered the battlefield, a minion with the "can't attack" ability (such as Ancient Watcher) or any other minion whether or not it is able to attack.
- This spell can be used on a minion with 0 Attack, usually dealing no damage unless you have some Spell Damage bonus.
- Damage dealt by Shadowflame is considered to be dealt by the spell and not by the targeted minion. In particular:
- Any triggered effects on the targeted minion that activate from dealing damage (such as Water Elemental or Queen of Pain) will not trigger.
- Shadowflame's damage is increased by bonuses from Spell Damage and Prophet Velen. Notice that if a minion with Spell Damage is the target of Shadowflame, it will still contribute to the total Spell Damage bonus used to calculate Shadowflame's damage.
- Minions that will be damaged by Shadowflame are decided based on the casting player, not on the targeted minion: for example, if a Shadowflame you cast triggers an opponent's Spellbender, despite it targeting (and destroying) one of your opponent's minions, it will still deal damage to your opponent's minions, not to your minions.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Ideally used on a target with a high Attack value, or when facing several opponents, in order to maximise its destructive potential. Also excellent for use in combination with Power Overwhelming, benefiting from the increased Attack and effectively removing the spell's drawback. Shadowflame's downside is also minimised when cast upon low value or low health targets such as Magma Rager, especially if they are expected to be destroyed next round.
It is usually a good idea to use the target to attack before casting Shadowflame. It can also be used on freshly summoned targets for one-turn board clear combos.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The artwork for this card comes from the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game "Servants of the Betrayer" series, for the card Shadow and Flame.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Year of the Gryphon rotation (2021-03-30): Moved from Classic to Legacy set.
- Patch 126.96.36.199662 (2021-03-25): Now has Shadow spell school (previously: no spell school).