|Set:||Goblins vs Gnomes|
Punching is its primary function. Also, its secondary function.
RARITY=3 CLASS=6 COLLECTIBLE=1 ELITE=0 COST=2 HEALTH=3 ATK=2 CARDTYPE=4 CARDRACE=17 ENCHANTMENT_BIRTH_VISUAL=0 ENCHANTMENT_IDLE_VISUAL=0 TRIGGER_VISUAL=1
How to get
|Card packs||Regular, Golden||1~2|
- This minion's triggered effect activates whenever Health is restored to any minion, which includes both enemy and friendly minions. However notice that trying to restore Health to undamaged minions will not activate on-heal triggers like this minion's effect.
- As with all random effects, this minion's triggered effect can hit any enemy, including Stealthed minions and the enemy hero.
- Healing effects with an area of effect (such as ) will heal all affected targets before this minion's effect triggers (once for each healed minion). This ensures that the Shadowboxer's damage is not undone by the same event which activated it.
- Prior to Patch 22.214.171.124770, if Shadowboxer gained Lifesteal from becoming , its triggered effect activated until your hero reached full health.
This minion is similar to , but with a synergy based around healing instead of minion summoning. Paired with a few AoE healing effects, this minion can easily deal a dozen damage to random enemies, in addition to its value as a body on the board. Drop it right before using or for lots of damage.
Because of its potential for ongoing and uncontrollable damage, this minion can serve as a soft taunt in a similar fashion to Knife Juggler. Even if it only deals a few points of bonus damage, it may serve the purpose of drawing enemy removal spells or attacks, deflecting attention from other minions. Given its low cost, this minion need only deal a few points of damage to be well worth the mana.
This minion is excellent for finishing damaged minions, for thinning boards of multiple smaller minions, or popping Divine Shields.
- ▶️<summon sound>
- ▶️<attack sound>
- ▶️<death sound>
- Shadowboxer is an excellent example of the invention of a new card causing the game's underlying mechanics to be revised. Prior to the introduction of Shadowboxer, AoE healing effects healed targets one at a time, with any triggered effects activating after each healing occurred. For example, with a on the board, a spell like would heal one minion at a time, with each followed immediately by a card being drawn, before moving on to the next minion. However, this design presented a problem for Shadowboxer's design. The current mechanic at the time of the card's invention meant that with Shadowboxer's triggered effect activated after each healing, and therefore before all healing had taken place, a Circle of Healing would potentially heal the very target the Shadowboxer had just damaged, thus undoing its effects. Likely as a result of the invention of this card, the game mechanic was altered prior to the card's addition, with the result that all single-effect healing now takes place at once, before any related triggers are activated.
- Shadowboxer also provides an example of how formerly innocuous designs can become problematic much later. The introduction of the Lifesteal ability, while originally unimportant to the power of this card, became somewhat problematic in Kobolds & Catacombs when could potentially grant any minion Lifesteal. A Shadowboxer with Lifesteal would trigger its ability, healing your hero, then trigger its ability again, repeating until your hero was restored to full health. This became especially bad in The Boomsday Project, with having the ability to give Lifesteal to any Mech. This would allow the Priest to fully heal themselves and deal a large amount of damage fairly reliably. Blizzard issued a preemptive nerf to Shadowboxer to prevent this combo.