Shadow Word: Pain
Destroy a minion with 3 or less Attack.
A step up from a spell cast by many beginning acolytes: "Shadow Word: Annoy".
Other versions[edit | edit source]
How to get[edit | edit source]
They are uncraftable and cannot be crafted or disenchanted.
Previous availability[edit | edit source]
Prior Year of the Gryphon's rotation on March 30, 2021:
- Two copies of Shadow Word: Pain were automatically included in all players' collections upon unlocking the priest class.
- Two Golden copies of Shadow Word: Pain were a reward for raising a priest to levels 36 and 38.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Shadow Word: Pain is a destroy effect that works on any minion with 3 or less Attack. It is a key part of the priest's removal range, along with Shadow Word: Death, which can remove any minions with 5 or more Attack. It is particularly useful for taking out lower Attack minions with high health (such as Gurubashi Berserker or Water Elemental) or with particularly powerful effects. It can be useful in the early game to prevent a single low-cost minion from dealing substantial damage or establishing board control, especially if the priest does not yet have any suitable minions to play.
Lore[edit | edit source]
Shadow Word: Pain (SW:P) is a priest spell from World of Warcraft that deals a small amount of instant damage and places a damage over time (DoT) debuff on the target. The priest class's main DoT, SW:P is a key part of Shadow priests' spell range, ideally placed on each enemy in order to deal maximum damage simultaneously to all targets, and is critical to achieving good multi-target damage. Critical ticks from SW:P also create a Shadowy Apparition, a shadowy version of the priest that floats toward their target, dealing Shadow damage when it reaches it. SW:P is also handy for dealing instant damage while running.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The artwork for this card comes from the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game "Scourgewar" series, for the card Devouring Plague.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Year of the Gryphon rotation (2021-03-30): Moved from Basic to Legacy set.
- Patch 22.214.171.124662 (2021-03-25): Now has Shadow spell school (previously: no spell school).