"Hail to thee, oh Scholomance, the magic school of yore. Your legacy of glory shines, may thee stand forever more. Take your place where magic bends to your will, but you'll have to study hard. So many clubs (and cults! Excuse me, I misspoke...), take your pick out in the yard! Test your brains and brawn, there's spells for us all, double-major honor rolls! Just make sure to stay upstairs in the halls, else Kel'Thuzad will steal your soul. (They're kidding, of course.) Dear magic school, we vow to stay right and true, oh Scholomance, we love you! (Hey! Hey! Go, S.A.!)"
Set in the magical school of Scholomance, run by headmaster Kel'Thuzad at a time before he became an evil lich, the expansion sees aspiring young champions of every class studying in this prestigious academy. However, beneath the halls of Scholomance in a secret chamber lies an evil cult.
Scholomance Academy introduced the new Spellburst keyword, an effect that triggers the first time you cast a spell with the minion on board. It also added dual-class cards, double majors that can be used by either class and combine themes and mechanics from each other.
- 1 How to get
- 2 Cards
- 2.1 Neutral
- 2.2 Class cards
- 2.3 Dual-class
- 3 Dual-class cards
- 4 Themes
- 5 Trailers
- 6 Lore
- 7 History
- 8 Trivia
- 9 References
- 10 External links
How to get[edit | edit source]
Scholomance Academy cards are available through the following options:
- Scholomance Academy card packs are purchasable through the Shop, with the usual prices and purchasing options.
- Scholomance Academy cards are craftable for the usual amounts of Arcane Dust.
- For as long as Scholomance Academy is the latest expansion, the guaranteed card pack from each Arena run is from the expansion. Once the next expansion comes out, second card packs will have a chance to be Scholomance Academy packs.
- The Highest Rank Bonus chest has a chance to award golden Scholomance Academy cards.
- Prior to the expansion's release, players were able to purchase one or both of the following bundles:
- Scholomance Academy Bundle costs $49.99 USD; it came with 55 Scholomance Academy card packs, a random Legendary card from Scholomance Academy, and the unique Kel'Thuzad card back.
- Scholomance Academy Mega Bundle costs $79.99 USD; it came with 80 Scholomance Academy card packs, 5 Golden Scholomance Academy card packs that guarantee Golden cards, a random Golden Legendary card from Scholomance Academy, the unique Kel'Thuzad card back, and the alternate mage hero Kel'Thuzad.
Cards[edit | edit source]
This expansion features 135 collectible cards. To make up for their status as a new class, Demon Hunters received a larger number of Common and Rare cards than other classes. As compensation, there are fewer Neutral cards than in previous sets. Scholomance Academy cards can be recognized with a special watermark (an open book) behind the card text, not found on other cards.
Neutral[edit | edit source]
- Common (19 cards)
- Rare (3 cards)
- Epic (3 cards)
- Legendary (5 cards)
- For the Uncollectible versions of Transfer Student, see its page.
- Choice cards
Class cards[edit | edit source]
Demon Hunter[edit | edit source]
Druid[edit | edit source]
Hunter[edit | edit source]
Mage[edit | edit source]
Paladin[edit | edit source]
Priest[edit | edit source]
Rogue[edit | edit source]
Shaman[edit | edit source]
Warlock[edit | edit source]
Warrior[edit | edit source]
Dual-class[edit | edit source]
Demon Hunter/Hunter[edit | edit source]
Hunter/Druid[edit | edit source]
- Choice cards
Druid/Shaman[edit | edit source]
- Choice cards
Shaman/Mage[edit | edit source]
Mage/Rogue[edit | edit source]
Rogue/Warrior[edit | edit source]
Warrior/Paladin[edit | edit source]
Paladin/Priest[edit | edit source]
Priest/Warlock[edit | edit source]
Warlock/Demon Hunter[edit | edit source]
Dual-class cards[edit | edit source]
Scholomance Academy is the first expansion to feature dual-class cards, which are similar to the Tri-class cards introduced in Mean Streets of Gadgetzan but much more numerous.
For game purposes, dual-class cards count as belonging to either of the corresponding classes. This allows heroes of any of those classes to include them in their decks. Class-related cards treat them as belonging to either of those classes, such as allowing Wand Thief to be Discovered by Messenger Raven or Devolving Missiles to be cast by Solarian Prime. However, they will not be considered cards from a different class as long as one half matches your class, preventing unfair synergies with cards like Bazaar Burglary or stopping cards like Lightforged Crusader from working. Dual-class cards are found in both respective class sections in the collection manager.
There are ten total dual-class pairings in this set, with each class having two classes paired to them. Classes are related by thematic ties, and share effects and even keyword abilities usually exclusive to one class. Each pairing can be seen on the chart to the right. Unlike the sparingly-used tri-class cards, each pairing has four cards for a total of forty cards, including ten dual-class Legendary minions.
Dual-class cards are identified by a unique cross-section split on the card, denoting the two classes. Golden dual-class cards are identified by a split the colored ribbon.
The following lists the dual-class pairing themes which relate the two classes of a dual-class pairing together:
- — Druid & Hunter — Beasts
- — Hunter & Demon Hunter — Hunt
- — Demon Hunter & Warlock — Fel
- — Warlock & Priest — Bones
- — Priest & Paladin — Light
- — Paladin & Warrior — Honor
- — Warrior & Rogue — Blades
- — Rogue & Mage — Tricks
- — Mage & Shaman — Elements
- — Shaman & Druid — Nature
Themes[edit | edit source]
Dual-Class[edit | edit source]
Are you ready to wield the power of dual classes? Take advantage of these magical mashups, including some class-crossing new Legendaries, and unlock board-bending new possibilities for every class.
- Shan'do Wildclaw
- Trueaim Crescent
- Spirit Jailer
- Brittlebone Destroyer
- Gift of Luminance
- Shield of Honor
- Wand Thief
- Ras Frostwhisper
- Runic Carvings
Spellburst[edit | edit source]
Minions with the new Spellburst keyword will trigger a one-time additional effect when a spell is played. These effects can turn your board of middling minions into a pyrotechnic display of card-generating and opponent-devastating mayhem.
- Intrepid Initiate
- Pen Flinger
- Diligent Notetaker
- Ceremonial Maul
- Enchanted Cauldron
- Goody Two-Shields
- Speaker Gidra
- Cabal Acolyte
- Crimson Hothead
- High Abbess Alura
- Krolusk Barkstripper
- Reaper's Scythe
- Shifty Sophomore
- Wretched Tutor
- Headmaster Kel'Thuzad
- Wyrm Weaver
- Forest Warden Omu
- Onyx Magescribe
Studies[edit | edit source]
Master the magical arts with these fantastical new spells. When played, Studies will Discover a card of a specific type, like Spells or Demons, then reduce cost of the next card of that type..
Trailers[edit | edit source]
Lore[edit | edit source]
In World of Warcraft[edit | edit source]
- Following the Second War, the fortress at Caer Darrow was restored. The manor was the Barov's primary residence amidst their far-reaching empire which comprised Caer Darrow, Brill, Southshore, and Tarren Mill, but as the years closed to the Third War, the aristocrats became depressed, greedy, and rageful. After decades of rule, in order to preserve their fortune and hold of the land well past their lifespan, the Barovs made a deal with Kel'Thuzad, leader of the Cult of the Damned. The once opulent keep of Caer Darrow secretly became the horrific Scholomance, a school of necromancy.
- Six months passed and the keep became decrepit and inhabited by dark undead beings. Acolytes of the Cult learned their craft, while the family servants were used as experiments for the Plague of Undeath. Finally, while the Scourge did not even yet fully exist in Lordaeron, the plague was unleashed from Scholomance and ravaged Caer Darrow before a visit from Uther the Lightbringer was scheduled. The first abominations were also created in the catacombs of Scholomance from unearthed corpses that were hacked apart and pieced together.
- After the Third War, the Barovs remained as undead monsters. One of Kel'Thuzad's mightiest agents, the Ravenian, also lived within the recesses of the school — ever ready to devour those students who showed any sign of weakness. The lich Ras Frostwhisper ruled over the site guarding it for the Scourge, until he was destroyed. The mortal necromancer, Darkmaster Gandling, serves as headmaster of the school, succeeding Araj the Summoner who was headmaster after Kel'Thuzad. Constructs, spirits, and demons are allowed to roam the halls untended, which is unexpected for such practiced necromancers.
In Hearthstone[edit | edit source]
- Greetings, aspiring adept! We’re thrilled to welcome you to Scholomance Academy! Within the lofty halls of this fabled magic college, the (mostly) good Headmaster Kel’Thuzad and the rest of our faculty are here to guide the next generation of greats, from Warlocks to Warriors and everything between. We encourage the pursuit of double majors and offer a plethora of cross-over studies. Whatever flavor of major you favor, Scholomance has the training grounds to suit your needs!
- Just... don’t go exploring those dusty crypts beneath the schoolgrounds. There’s no reason at all to be concerned about what Kel’Thuzad and the Cult of the Damned are stirring up down there...
History[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
On July 13th, 2020, the official Hearthstone Twitter account posted a teaser animation of a deck of cards with a new cardback with the topmost card flying up and releasing energy, along with the text "Tomorrow, unleash the magic within! #MasterTheUnexpected" On the same day, Italian website multiplayer.it mistakenly posted the Italian version of the of the Scholomance Academy logo, which was quickly taken down.
On the day of the announcement, a Chinese press document was leaked, detailing information about the expansion including the Kel'Thuzad hero portrait and card back, Transfer Student login reward, and new additions to Battlegrounds added in Patch 188.8.131.52261.
The expansion was officially announced on July 14th with the Scholomance Academy Announcement Trailer, with Dave Kosak, Liv Breeden, and Alec Dawson showcasing the expansion presented as them going through Kel'Thuzad's old laptop.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- This is the first expansion/adventure to have no Legendary minions with tribes.
References[edit | edit source]
- Chadd Nervig on Reddit.
- Alec Dawason on Twitter. (2020-07-15).
- Blizzard Entertainment (2020-08-18). Announcing the Scholomance Inn-vitational!. Retrieved on 2020-08-18.
- Official site - Scholomance Academy. Retrieved on 2020-07-14.
- PlayHearthstone on Twitter. (2020-07-13).
[edit | edit source]
(Expansions / Adventures / Mini-sets)