|Abilities:||Destroy, Restore Health|
|Wiki tags:||Demon-related, Targeted|
This is the reason that Demons never really become friends with Warlocks.
How to get
They are uncraftable and cannot be crafted or disenchanted.
Prior Year of the Gryphon's rotation on March 30, 2021:
- Two copies of Sacrificial Pact were a reward for raising a warlock to level 8.
- Two Golden copies of Sacrificial Pact were a reward for raising a warlock to levels 15 and 20.
- This spell has two steps:
Sacrificial Pact gives Warlocks healing, a valuable resource to Warlocks, for the price of a demon. Ideally, it should target a puny 1/1 imp or a dying minion, such as one affected by Nightmare or Power Overwhelming. Another excellent target is a deathrattle minion. Although healing is useful, unless you have convenient ways to generate small inconsequential demons to sacrifice, such as Imp Master or Dreadsteed or Galakrond, the Wretched, it's cumbersome to use and its lack of influence on the board makes it a poor card to include in most decks.
It is possible to use this offensively to destroy an enemy hero transformed into Lord Jaraxxus because he is a demon, but is complicated since he is not classified as a "friendly" demon, which is a requirement after Sacrificial Pact was patched.
This can be done through workarounds such as:
- using Lorewalker Cho with a cheap demon (such as Voidwalker) to target with the spell to put copies of Sacrificial Pact in the enemy's hand, and then playing Unseen Saboteur for a chance at forcing them to play that spell
- (ideally with the enemy having no demon minions that might be targeted instead, and waiting until they've played some spells so those don't get chosen instead)
- chances are doubled if Brann Bronzebeard is on the field since that doubles Saboteur's battlecry
The unusual relationship between warlocks and their summoned demons is well-documented.
- Warlocks command the obedience of mighty demons, summoning and dismissing them at will, using them as they see fit and sacrificing them the moment it serves the warlock's interests. Even the mighty infernals bow before the will of the warlock.
- The artwork for this card comes from the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game "Fields of Honor" series, for the card Dimzer the Prestidigitator.
- During the game's alpha this spell was called "Grimoire of Sacrifice". This name was later reused for a collectible card in the Forged in the Barrens set.
- Sacrificial Pact was removed for selection in Arena on September 15, 2016 but was reinstated on December 9, 2018.
- Prior to Sacrificial Pact's nerf to only target friendly Demons on April 20, 2020, Sacrificial Pact was a notable tech card against Demons and was notably infamous for being able to destroy the Lord Jaraxxus hero, resulting in any Jaraxxus player being at risk of an immediate loss through a single card. Zephrys the Great was also able to give Sacrificial Pact to any hero if the enemy hero was Lord Jaraxxus. After the update, Zephrys had been updated to acknowledge the nerf.
- Also prior to its nerf, Sacrificial Pact could target Malchezaar in One Night in Karazhan's Free Medivh! encounter. Sacrificial Pact would be Countered, triggering the dialogue "Hahaha! That could never work on a true Eredar Lord!" However, if cast by cards like Yogg-Saron or Tortollan Primalist, it would successfully kill off Malchezaar.
- After Sacrificial Pact's nerf, the card can now be used by the player to destroy themselves if they have been transformed into Lord Jaraxxus, as another way of conceding.
- In the golden version of the card's artwork, the pages being turned seem to be pages of a then-current version of Hearthstone's official site, PlayHearthstone.com.
- Year of the Gryphon rotation (2021-03-30): Moved from Basic to Legacy set.
- Patch 184.108.40.206932 (2020-04-20): Now reads: Destroy a friendly Demon... (previously: Destroy a Demon...).
- Patch 220.127.116.1136 (2017-04-04): Now has Free rarity (previously: Common).
- Patch 18.104.22.16890 (2013-10-02): Now costs 0 mana (Down from 2). Destroy a Demon. Restore 5 health to your hero. [0 mana, Common]
- Patch 22.214.171.12488 (2013-06-22): Renamed from "Grimoire of Sacrifice" to "Sacrificial Pact".
- Previously: Destroy a Demon. Restore 5 health to your hero. [2 mana, Common]
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcniWFdCBKY Tested in Patch 126.96.36.19974 (WotOG patch)
- demonstrated 20 May 2020
- Dean Ayala (2016-09-08). Hearthside Chat: Upcoming Arena Changes with Dean Ayala. Retrieved on 2019-03-26.
- Blizzard Entertainment (2018-12-19). Arena Updates – December 19 2018. Retrieved on 2019-03-26.