For when you didn’t combobulate quite right the first time around.
How to get
|Card packs||Regular, Golden||1~2|
- The replacement minion is selected randomly from all collectible minions of the same cost, regardless of class. This means there is a chance that the affected minion will be replaced by a fresh copy of the same card.
- Example: Minions with a "unique" mana cost (such as the 20-Cost ) will always transform into another copy of the same minion: this can still be useful for restoring the minion to its base condition and full Health, similar to replaying it from the hand.
- The base mana cost of the affected minion is used to determine the selection, not the mana cost paid when summoning it.
- Example: A might cause a to cost only 3 mana, but Recombobulator will still transform it into a random 5 mana minion.
- The target minion will be transformed into a fresh copy of the replacement minion, with base stats including full Health and no enchantments. You can therefore use it to convert a minion who has been damaged, debuffed or silenced, in hope of getting something better.
The Recombobulator is especially effective when used on targets which have powerful Battlecries or Choose One effects, but weaker than average stats and/or other abilities. Transforming them can allow the player to make the most of the minion's Battlecry before swapping it for a more useful ongoing minion. For example a player might summon a 5/6 , benefit from its healing, then transform it into a 7/5 , or even a 5/7 . Other examples of good targets include , , and .
At a basic level, the transformation becomes more useful the more value the minion has lost. For example, replacing a damaged 2/1 (originally a 2/2) with a fresh 2/2 is a very small improvement; while replacing a damaged 8/1 (originally an 8/8) is a much larger one.
If used on a minion temporarily stolen with , the player will gain permanent control of the replacement minion. This works due to the buff that makes Shadow Madness work, which is lost when the minion is transformed.
While the recomboulation of minions is generally unpredictable, those with very rare mana costs provide more predictable results. Most notably, since is the only 20 cost minion in the game, the player is guaranteed to recombobulate it into a fresh Molten Giant, effectively serving as a full heal (as well as removing enchantments). Similarly, and are the only 12 cost minions, guaranteeing a fresh 8/8 body. Slightly less predictably, converting a or has a very good chance of netting you a late-game legendary minion such as or .
- ▶️You might feel a little tingle.
- ▶️Time for a change.
- ▶️<death sound>
This minion seems to combine magical transformation with the gnomish liability for unpredictable results. The Recombobulator is original to Hearthstone, both in title and in its ability to transform targets into powerful creatures such as Molten Giants, or even unique individuals such as , as opposed to the usual Chickens or .
- During its development, Recombobulator was known for crashing game servers. At one point it also crashed the live game servers when trying to recombobulate a Molten Giant.
- The artwork for this card comes from the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game "Twilight of the Dragons" series, for the card Trilik the Light's Spark.
Patch 220.127.116.1134 (2014-12-04): Added.