|Set:||Forged in the Barrens|
|Wiki tags:||Battlefield-related, Hero Power-related|
It’s all a great learning experience until someone accidentally aggros the boss.
How to get
Reckless Apprentice can be obtained through Forged in the Barrens card packs, through crafting, or as an Arena reward. Regular Reckless Apprentice can also be obtained through the Highest Rank Bonus chest at the end of a Ranked season.
|Golden Reckless Apprentice||800||100|
- It will not fire additional times to adjacent targets if Spirit of the Dragonhawk is in play.
- It does trigger Inspire effects.
- It will trigger Pyromaniac's draw effect if any minions are destroyed.
- Reckless Apprentice's effect appears to be coded as "apply your Hero Power's effect once for each enemy (targets it if the Hero Power can choose targets)". In particular, with:
- Non-targeting hero powers such as Demon Claws, Life Tap, and INFERNO! will trigger their normal effects once for each enemy in play.
- Passive hero powers have no effect.
- Hero Powers with a choice such as Totemic Slam, Delivery Drone, and Plague Lord will have their effect chosen at random each use.
- Steady Shot and Ballista Shot will deal damage to the enemy hero for each enemy as expected, unless Steamwheedle Sniper or Dwarven Sharpshooter is in play, in which case it will target each enemy.
- DIE, INSECT! (and by extension the Sulfuras version) will fire at a random target for each enemy, but cannot target mortally wounded characters.
- Dinomancy will give each enemy minion +2/+2, whether or not they're Beasts.
- Demonic Blast will expend its charges and then switch to the previous Hero Power, applying its effect for each remaining enemy.
- The Four Horsemen will summon up to four Horsemen, at which point the destruction effect triggers and resolves before more Horsemen can be summoned.
- Prior to Patch 188.8.131.52593, Reckless Apprentice would cause Emperor Wraps, Dinomancy, and Modest Aspirations (from Duels), to target the enemy hero. Respectively, this would transform your hero into a 2/2 copy of the opponent with no Hero Power, give the opponent a permanent +2/+2, and set the opponent's Attack and Health to 3.
Played on its own, Reckless Apprentice can be read as "Battlecry: Deal 1 damage to all enemies" attached to decent stats for the cost, effectively a better Arcane Explosion for free. Where this card truly shines, however, is in tandem with Hero Power boosting effects, such as Wildfire, Fallen Hero, and (in Wild) Arcane Amplifier, providing an efficient board clear and face damage.
In Wild, this also synergizes well with Genn Greymane because of its even-cost and the upgraded Hero Power given by Justicar Trueheart; however, as an even-cost card, it cannot be used with Baku the Mooneater.
- Patch 184.108.40.206593 (2021-06-03): Fixed a bug where Reckless Apprentice’s effect would cause some minion-only Hero Powers to hit the enemy hero.
- Patch 220.127.116.11904 (2021-04-13):
- Fixed a bug where the Battlecry for Reckless Apprentice would not apply the Freeze effect from Ice Walker.
- Fixed a bug where the Battlecry for Reckless Apprentice would still trigger if the Hero Power was disabled.
- (Undocumented) Reckless Apprentice's Battlecry will count as using Hero Power for one-time effect cards such as Daring Fire-Eater.
- Patch 18.104.22.168662 (2021-03-25): Added.
- Video example of using Apprentice with Inspire cards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F6LzTDB8NI
- HysteriA (2021-04-01). Hearthstone Mythbusters 106 | Reckless Apprentice Experiments - Forged in The Barrens. YouTube.
- XxBobTheZealotxX (2021-04-21). I fired my hero power at all enemies. Reddit.