Reborn is represented by a cracked blue glow around the minion.
- The best way to think about Reborn is that it functions similarly to Divine Shield. It is both an ability of a minion and an effect on the minion.
- When the minion is first destroyed, it loses the visual effect but retains the keyword. The keyword is then functionally meaningless.
- If a minion that has been Reborn is returned to the hand and played again, it will regain its Reborn effect.
- If a Reborn minion is Silenced, it loses its Reborn effect.
- Similar to Divine Shield, the Reborn effect does not stack.
- Reborn minions keep the max health of the original minion.
- A minion that is resummoned by Reborn will not keep any enchantments it had.
- Each Reborn minion is considered its own unique copy of that minion. Any copy resurrected will return with full Health and the Reborn effect active.
- The Reborn effect is considered summoning and will interact with on-summon triggers like Khadgar and .
- Deathrattles are resolved before Reborn, regardless of the order in which the cards were played. Normally for Deathrattle cards, their effect goes off in the order in which the cards were played.
Cards with Reborn
Sources of Reborn
This section lists cards which generate Reborn minions.
This section lists cards which grant the Reborn ability to other minions or to itself.
Reborn was added during the first few weeks of development for Saviors of Uldum and immediately saw a lot of design space. Some of the early work came in the form of figuring out how exactly to value minions with the keyword. "Reborn" was originally intended to only be a temporary name used during testing. However, as the developers pitched other names for the ability, they ultimately found that Reborn was the one that was easiest to understand and that people could instantly guess what it did when shown the keyword for the first time, leading to Reborn being the name that they shipped with. Other names that were considered during development included:
- Mummy or Mummified - Felt more like a minion type than a keyword, didn't quite lead players to understand what it did at first glance, and would've pigeon-holed the developers into making all minions with the ability into mummies.
- Embalmed - While this name had a great thematic vibe, it was harder to predict what the ability did on first read.
- Ankh - Felt more like an item than a keyword and also didn't indicate that the ability was a one-time effect.
- Patch 18.104.22.168708 (2019-08-01): Added.