|Set:||One Night in Karazhan|
|Abilities:||Generate, Shuffle into deck, Start of Game|
|Wiki tags:||Deck-related, In-deck effect, Random, Rarity-related, Triggered effect|
|Artist:||Joe Madureira & Grace Liu|
Add 5 extra Legendary minions to your deck.
"He was super excited to acquire Gorehowl at a garage sale! Then super disappointed to find out it was a foam reproduction."
How to get
|Golden Prince Malchezaar||3200||1600|
- At the start of the game, if the player has Prince Malchezaar in their deck, he will add 5 random collectible legendary cards to the player's deck. While the selection is random, only cards suitable for the player's class will be chosen, and he will not cause there to be more than 1 copy of any given legendary in the deck, thus abiding by the game's regular deck-building rules.
- This card's effect activates at the start of the game. It is not necessary to draw or play the card to activate its effect, only to have it included in the deck.
- The effect activates after the mulligan. This means the cards generated will not be included in the mulligan, but may be drawn at the start of the first turn.
- Prince Malchezaar's effect is comparable, but very dissimilar, to that of Golden Monkey, which, in contrast, allows for duplicate copies as well as legendary cards from other classes.
- If you somehow start the game with multiple Prince Malchezaars (such as in the Arena or a Tavern Brawl), each of them will have their expected effect, shuffling five Legendary minions into the deck per Malchezaar. However, only one animation is played of Prince Malchezaar shuffling five cards into the deck. As with a single Malchezaar, each card added will be unique to the deck, with no duplicates.
- Prince Malchezaar will shuffle in cards after other Start of Game effects activate. In case of Baku the Mooneater, you will obtain an upgraded Hero Power even if Prince Malchezaar shuffles in an ineligible card.
- Despite not having the ability to select what you receive, Malchezaar fills your deck with five extra Legendary minions, meaning that this card excels in slow games, where the extra minions are not only an extra threat to the other player, but an excellent delay for Fatigue.
- Cards like Barnes work well with Malchezaar as some Legendary minions rely on their effects rather than their stats.
- Most Legendary minions have high mana costs. This improves the chances of winning Jousts. It also favors a long game and makes your deck weaker to Aggro deck archetypes, so be sure to include ways to deal with early threats in your deck. Global removal such as Consecration, Holy Nova, Lightbomb, Twisting Nether, Fan of Knives / Blade Flurry, or Arcane Explosion/Blizzard/Flamestrike can be particularly useful in clearing the board and getting card advantage to set up for Malchezaar's "finds".
- Prince Malchezaar himself has good stats, providing a 5/6 body for 5 mana. His ability only triggers at the beginning of a game, so after the game begins, he is functionally equivalent to a Pit Fighter - a creature without text or abilities. Unlike Pit Fighter though, Prince Malchezaar is a demon, which gives him a slight edge in warlock decks that rely on demon synergy,
- Healing can help you survive long enough to utilize both Malchezaar and his RNG drops. For this reason, cards like Reno Jackson, Antique Healbot, or Tournament Medic, or playing the Priest class, all represent synergies tilting the game towards later rounds and maximizing the potential chance to utilize the Legendaries you draw. Taunt is also useful.
- Malchezaar's "legions" are almost always powerful, but beware of cards like Nat, the Darkfisher or Millhouse Manastorm. Nat won't usually do you much good unless you're already playing Vanish Rogue, and Millhouse's Battlecry will lose you the game if your opponent has a few strong spells in hand.
- Note that even though Prince Malchezaar works to delay fatigue, one should know that getting random Legendaries from Prince Malchezaar may serve to dilute your deck rather than aid it, without further assistance from other cards.
The following table lists all collectible legendary minions currently available in Standard format, representing the range of cards that can be generated by Prince Malchezaar. For Wild format lists, see Legendary card list/Wild format.
|Name / Desc||Rarity||Type||Subtype||Class||Cost||Atk||HP||Description|
|Auctioneer Jaxon||Legendary||Minion||General||Any||2||2||3||Whenever you Trade,|
Discover a card from your
deck to draw instead.
|Bolner Hammerbeak||Legendary||Minion||General||SHAMAN||2||1||4||After you play a Battlecry|
minion, repeat the first
Battlecry played this turn.
|Maestra of the Masquerade||Legendary||Minion||General||ROGUE||2||3||2||You start the game as a different class until you play a Rogue card.|
|Flightmaster Dungar||Legendary||Minion||General||Any||3||3||3||Battlecry: Choose a|
flightpath and go Dormant.
Awaken with a bonus
when you complete it!
|Mindrender Illucia||Legendary||Minion||General||PRIEST||3||1||3||Battlecry: Replace|
your hand with a copy of
your opponent's until
end of turn.
|Darkbishop Benedictus||Legendary||Minion||General||PRIEST||5||5||6||Start of Game: If the spells in your deck are all Shadow, enter Shadowform.|
|Anetheron||Legendary||Minion||DEMON||WARLOCK||6||8||6||Costs (1) if your hand is full.|
Your Lifesteal damages
the enemy hero instead
of healing you.
|Lady Prestor||Legendary||Minion||General||Any||6||6||7||Battlecry: Transform minions|
in your deck into random
Dragons. (They keep their
original stats and Cost.)
|Grand Magus Antonidas||Legendary||Minion||General||MAGE||8||6||6||Battlecry: If you've cast a|
Fire spell on each of your last
three turns, cast 3 Fireballs at
|Jace Darkweaver||Legendary||Minion||General||DEMONHUNTER||8||7||5||Battlecry: Cast all Fel spells you've played this game (targets enemies if possible).|
|Mordresh Fire Eye||Legendary||Minion||General||MAGE||8||8||8||Battlecry: If you've dealt 10|
damage with your Hero Power
this game, deal 10 damage
to all enemies.
|Sheldras Moontree||Legendary||Minion||General||DRUID||8||5||5||Battlecry: The next 3|
spells you draw are
Cast When Drawn.
|Varian, King of Stormwind||Legendary||Minion||General||Any||8||7||7||Battlecry: Draw a Rush|
minion to gain Rush.
Repeat for Taunt and
|Showing all 14 cards|
- ▶️<VO sound>
In World of Warcraft
- "You face not Malchezaar alone, but the legions I command!"
- Prince Malchezaar is a raid boss located at the very top of Karazhan. He can be encountered after the Chess event and controls all of the trash between the Game Room and Netherspace.
- Little is known about Malchezaar, except that he is a man'ari eredar, he claims to be a prince, and he is a member of the Burning Legion. It is unknown how or when he arrived at Karazhan or what his purpose there is. He apparently arrived while some agents of the Violet Eye were still alive inside Karazhan, notably Keanna. It was likely shortly before Karazhan was sealed, as the Violet Eye were aware of Keanna's death.
- This card's flavor text references Gorehowl's appearance as an item in World of Warcraft, where it is obtainable as a drop from Prince Malchezaar in his appearance as a boss in Karazhan. There is no known lore explanation for how Gorehowl came into his possession, although it has been theorized by some players that Malchezaar obtained it from an alternate universe, as his quotes boast that he has access to "all realities, all dimensions". Gorehowl's flavor text references this: Grommash Hellscream's famous axe. Somehow this ended up in Prince Malchezaar's possession. Quite the mystery!
- Prince Malchezaar is envious of Lord Jaraxxus, for no other reason than the latter being invited to Medivh's parties at Karazhan, as well as being furious at Medivh for refusing to invite him. This is regardless of the fact that he is banned from Karazhan for good reason: the last time he attended a party, he destroyed the tower's library.
- This jealousy is displayed in the One Night in Karazhan adventure, in which Malchezaar assaults Medivh for refusing to invite him to the party, only to be defeated and sent back to his home realm. However, before he is forced through the portal, he grabs onto Medivh, taking the guardian with him and ultimately causing the events of the adventure.
- Patch 18.104.22.168662 (2021-03-25): Fixed a Duels bug where Prince Malchezaar’s start of game effect would not activate if Prince Malchezaar was drawn from Small Pouches.
- Patch 22.214.171.12466 (2018-04-10): (Undocumented) Now reads: Start of Game: Add 5 extra Legendary minions to your deck. (previously: When the game starts, add 5 extra Legendary minions to your deck.).
- Patch 126.96.36.19932 (2017-06-13): Once again announces his arrival.
- Patch 188.8.131.5221 (2016-08-09): Added.
- Hearthstone reveal event at Team Inven. (2016-08-01).
- Yong Woo on Twitter. (2016-08-03).
- https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/50xfzo/double_malchezaar_in_arena/ Tested in Patch 184.108.40.20621 (ONiK patch)