"Rise of Shadows"
|Ann. date:||April 4, 2019|
|Release date:||April 4, 2019|
The Rise of Shadows is nearly upon us! In this Hearthstone update we're sharpening swords, feeding familiars, and stockpiling staves in preparation for descent into Dalaran and the launch of Rise of Shadows on April 9. This expansion introduces 135 devious new cards to add to your collection, kicks off the Year of the Dragon, adds in our first Arena set rotation, and much more!
Read on for details on everything that's new in the tavern, and what's included in the upcoming Rise of Shadows expansion!
Try early, for free! This Neutral Legendary spinner of spells and defender of Dalaran will be automatically added to your collection and can be played RIGHT NOW in Standard & Wild matches before Rise of Shadows officially launches on April 9.
"Choose One" Card Art Updates
A number of “Choose One” cards have had unique art added for each possible option. The following cards have received updates:
Complete My Deck, Part 2
Hearthstone's EVEN better at helping you build decks than ever before. We've made some improvements to the Smart Deck Builder introduced in our last major update:
- Now use the smart deck builder to complete decks from the deck selection screen with a single click
- Easily convert Wild decks to Standard with a single click using the intelligent card replacement algorithm
- Please note that the smart deck builder will need some time after Rise of Shadows goes live in order to gather the necessary data to effectively suggest cards from the new set. We recommend waiting a couple of days before using this feature to create or complete Rise of Shadows decks.
Rise of Shadows – Launching April 9
Under the leadership of , notorious ne'er do-wells from across Hearthstone's history have heeded the call and banded together under the decidedly unsubtle but exceptionally fitting moniker - the League of E.V.I.L.!
After years working on their own and constantly being foiled, flustered, beaten, and bested, these masters of mischief have cooked up a scheme sure to bring them out of shame and into infamy! Their target? The magical floating city of Dalaran...
- New Minions: Lackeys – Generated by EVIL cards that add Lackeys to your hand, Lackeys are 1/1 minions that, while lacking in terms of raw stats, have powerful Battlecry effects.
- New Spells: Schemes – Schemes are powerful spells that become even more powerful the longer they stay in your hand.
- New Keyword: Twinspell - Twinspells are spells that, once cast, create a copy of themselves in your hand to be used whenever you like.
Once Rise of Shadows launches, keep an eye on your quest log for a series of Legendary quests that will reward Rise of Shadows card packs along with card packs from other Year of the Dragon sets.
Year of the Dragon
The Year of the Dragon starts soon, meaning that we are waving a fond farewell to the Year of the Mammoth sets. Once Rise of Shadows launches on April 9, you will no longer be able to purchase packs from the Journey to Un'Goro, Knights of the Frozen Throne, and Kobolds & Catacombs expansions, and any cards from those expansions will no longer be playable in Standard game modes.
With Rise of Shadows, the Arena will start a regular rotation of available cards from both new and older expansions. To kick things off, the available cards will have a decidedly… E.V.I.L. theme. Here's which sets you'll have access to when choosing cards in the Arena, starting April 9:
- Whispers of the Old Gods
- Mean Streets of Gadgetzan
- The Witchwood
- Rise of Shadows
Hall of Fame
The following cards have been moved to the Hall of Fame on April 9:
Up to the maximum number of cards you could put in a deck, we will give you the full dust value of any cards you have that are being added to the Hall of Fame set. The dust will be automatically awarded upon log-in once the Year of the Dragon begins.
Embrace the shadows and celebrate the launch of Hearthstone’s new expansion with this limited-time bundle, available from April 9 – 15. Get 7 Rise of Shadows packs plus two bonus packs and one Arena Ticket bundled together. Don’t delay! This Bundle will disappear in the blink of an E.V.I.L. eye.
The tavern is lively this time of year. Pull up a chair and join in the fun!
- Ignoblegarden - Dr. Boom is tired of eggs and bunnies. According to him, what a holiday really needs to succeed is custom, high-powered explosives. Play around with his adorable Egg-Bombs, but be careful, some of them might be rotten!
Join us April 17-21 for this explosive new Tavern Brawl and earn some awesome rewards!
- HCT World Championships – It’s almost time for a new champion of Hearthstone esports to be crowned! Login from April 26 – 28 for daily rewards and play decks used by previous champions in the HCT Tavern Brawl. Be sure to also check out the HCT World Championship live at [www.twitch.tv/playhearthstone]
- Henchmania - The E.V.I.L. league has been assembled! There's only one thing left to do before they can attempt their heist: hire some henchmen! You, the player, get to fight for the glory of your new evil lords and see if you're tough enough to be a Henchperson!
Added the following card backs:
- Awesome Blossom
- Pristine Scenes
- Legion Schemes
- Machine Dreams
- Poisonous, Lifesteal, and Overkill Update
- Before this patch, if a card lost its Poisonous, Lifesteal, or Overkill keyword in the time between dealing damage and applying its keyword effect, that effect would not be applied. After the patch, if a card has a Poisonous, Lifesteal, or Overkill keyword at the moment it deals damage, that keyword effect will apply no matter what. As an example, imagine a attacks an . Then when Acolyte of Pain triggers, it draws a , which in turn casts Silence on the Stubborn Gastropod. Before this patch, the Stubborn Gastropod would not apply its Poisonous effect, and the Acolyte of Pain would live. After the patch, the Stubborn Gastropod will still apply Poisonous after being silenced and the Acolyte of Pain will die.
- Fixed an issue where playing The with on the board would cause extra legendary minions to be shuffled into your deck.
- Updated the text of from "play" to "cast."
- Fixed an issue where could show incorrect card art after multiple cards are played quickly before the animation sequence of finished.
- Fixed the history panel so that it correctly displays the enemy Hero with a red banner if that player is using a golden Hero.
- Fixed an issue with Brawl that could cause it to choose a minion that died before the Brawl effect resolved.
- Fixed an issue where secrets stolen by could display the card art of the stolen card in the history panel.
- Fixed an issue that caused a minion to be unable to attack for a turn if stolen after attacking it with the weapon.
- Fixed an issue where playing the turn after playing a Spellstone would give you a copy of the Spellstone that kept the original's progress towards the next upgrade.
- Fixed an issue where clicking on a Charge/Rush minion as it comes into play could make it unclickable for the rest of the game.
- Fixed an issue where would not trigger if the right-most card in hand was a minion and changed controllers after coming into play.
- Fixed a number of display issues with golden card animations on some older cards.
- will no longer play the stealth animation on the opposing Hero if there are no valid targets on the board.
- [Mobile] Fixed an issue that could cause some phones to display the UI intended for tablet devices.
- [Mobile] Centered 's face in the deck tile.
- [Mobile] Fixed an issue that caused broken plant textures on the Rastakhan Rumble board when viewed on some devices.