- For other representations of N'Zoth, see N'Zoth (disambiguation).
While the character is long established in Warcraft lore, he was first depicted, revealed or even described in detail in Hearthstone, making it in a sense original to Hearthstone. Its full art was intentionally revealed to players in advance of the card itself, providing a first ever glimpse of the elusive horror. However, as of the Visions of N'Zoth patch in World of Warcraft, N'Zoth has taken a more prominent role and is shown in game, reflecting the art first introduced in Hearthstone.
The Hearthstone team collaborated "a lot" with the Warcraft lore developers when conceiving N'Zoth, and the artist for the card, Tyson Murphy, is lead character artist for World of Warcraft. While the card itself is part of the game of Hearthstone, the art for N'Zoth is intended to be canonical.
- is the Old God of Madness an Old God who is likely imprisoned beneath Azeroth's oceans, and is responsible for the spark of the Emerald Nightmare corrupting the Emerald Dream. Due to its oceanic nature, it is possible that it is the Old God which turned night elves into naga, corruption of Neltharion into Deathwing and it likely makes several indirect appearances in the quest-chains of the Vashj'ir zone. In ages past, N'Zoth engaged in a long war with and Yogg-Saron, with Warlord Zon'ozz leading N'Zoth's army. During the events of World of Warcraft: Cataclysm, N'Zoth was a driving force behind the actions of and during World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth the Old God once again assaulted Azeroth but was ultimately stopped by Magni and the heroes.
- During the days of the Black Empire, N'Zoth controlled a vast territory in the east of Kalimdor, covering much of what would later become known as the Eastern Kingdoms. Countless ages ago, Warlord Zon'ozz and his soldiers waged endless war in the name of N'Zoth against the forces of C'Thun and Yogg-Saron. N'Zoth was the first of the Old Gods to be sealed beneath the surface of Azeroth by the titan-forged after Y'Shaarj's death, though it is not known exactly where (only that its bastion was located somewhat southeast of the Well of Eternity).
- Very little is certain about N’Zoth (pronounced nuh-ZAH-th or /nə'zɑθ/)—most beings on Azeroth don't even know its name, much less what it looks like. Scraps of obscure lore claim that the Old God has been imprisoned beneath the darkest depths of the ocean for millennia beyond counting. There are also whispers that N'Zoth desires nothing more than to twist what was once noble and pure to its own inscrutable ends. Ultimately, most of what is "known" about this most insidious of beings is mere speculation.
- Still, looking at the evidence, it seems like N'Zoth feels a compulsive need to redecorate, and has the aesthetic sensibilities of someone that's super into skulls, black leather, and knee high platform boots. Emerald Dream? How about Emerald Nightmare. Neltharion the Earth Warder? Nah, let's go with DEATHWING THE DESTROYER! Prissy Night Elf nobility throwing a hissy fit? BAM! You get a snake body and actual hissing! Yes, it's rumored that N'Zoth was involved with twisting the Emerald Dream, corrupting one of Azeroth's most powerful dragons, and mutating the Highborne into the despicable Naga... but it's just getting started.
N'Zoth "embraces chaos", as reflected by the randomness of his Battlecry effect. Despite some confusion from other sources, in Hearthstone lore, while Yogg-Saron "opened the door when it corrupted Vordrassil", it was "not the only Old God at work in the Emerald Dream".
How to get
N'Zoth is currently unavailable for obtaining.
- N'Zoth (hero) could be obtained through Madness at the Darkmoon Faire Pre-order Mega Bundle, available for purchase from October 22 to November 17, 2020.
USD EUR GBP AUD $79.99 €79.99 £69.99
- Main article: Alternate heroes
- Comes with own portrait
- Has custom emotes
- Has custom tray
When viewed in the Collection, N'Zoth has the following flavor text:
When someone asks if you're an Old God, you can now say "YES!"
|▶️||I am multitides.|
|▶️||Nothing as it seems.|
|▶️||I know the unknowable. See the unseen.|
|▶️||Your suffering is my strength.|
|▶️||All is ruin.|
|▶️||They give themselves to me.|
|▶️||Their end is but the beginning.|
|▶️||Into the depths…|
|▶️||The void consumes.|
|▶️||My eyes open.|
|▶️||The future is history rewritten.|
|Concede||▶️||Back… to… sleep…|
|Error: Too many minions||▶️||There are too many.|
|Error: Generic||▶️||It can not be done.|
|Error: Hand already full||▶️||My hand is full.|
|Error: Hero already attacked||▶️||I cannot attack.|
|Error: Minion exhausted||▶️||That minion is spent.|
|Error: Not enough mana||▶️||Not enough mana.|
|Error: Need a weapon||▶️||I need a weapon.|
|Error: Can't play that card||▶️||I cannot play that.|
|Error: Can't target Stealthed minion||▶️||That minion has stealth.|
|Error: Minion not ready||▶️||Give that one time to make ready.|
|Error: Not a valid target||▶️||I need a target.|
|Error: Must attack Taunt minion||▶️||I must attack the minion with taunt.|
|Emote: Greetings [Fire Festival]||▶️||The fires consume, but the flames will cleanse.|
|Emote: Greetings||▶️||Welcome, my devoted chosen.|
|Emote: Greetings [Happy Halloween]||▶️||On Hallow's End, the veil is torn…|
|Emote: Greetings [Holidays]||▶️||Your holiday has come.|
|Emote: Greetings [Happy New Year]||▶️||Another year, the dawning of the end.|
|Emote: Greetings [Lunar New Year]||▶️||Another year, the dawning of the end.|
|Unused: Greetings [Happy Noblegarden]||▶️||Numberless eggs hidden in the deeps…|
|Almost out of cards||▶️||The end of my deck is nigh…|
|Emote: GreetingsEmote: Greetings [Mirror]||▶️||Together we dream. Only one shall wake.|
|Start [Mirror]||▶️||And the sleeping city shall awaken.|
|Out of cards||▶️||My deck is barren!|
|Emote: Oops||▶️||With a whisper, chaos comes.|
|Unused: Greetings [Pirate Day]||▶️||Yo… ho… ho….|
|Selection in Choose Your Hero||▶️||I can save you from what is to come.|
|Unused: Sorry||▶️||I will atone.|
|Start||▶️||All eyes shall be opened!|
|Emote: Thanks||▶️||Thank you.|
|Thinking||▶️||…the veil wanes…|
|Emote: Threaten||▶️||Dream with me…|
|Running out of time||▶️||The hour is close at hand!|
|Emote: Wow||▶️||The multitudes cry out!|
|Emote: Well Played||▶️||Glorious and terrible!|
|▶️||Worldbreaker. You heard my call in the deep.|
|▶️||Such gifts I bestowed to your people, your queen...|
|▶️||Join me in the depths, little one.|
|▶️||Your future unwinds, prince. Your crown will open the way.|
|▶️||I see the machinations of your dark heart.|
|▶️||You, too, have heard the calling from the deep.|
|▶️||Long have I whispered to you…|
|▶️||Servant of the Titans, your time has come.|
|▶️||Our gifts are not your weapons, warchief.|
|▶️||I feel your roots in the deep, awakening the nightmare.|
- N'Zoth's flavor text is a play on 's flavor text.
- N'Zoth is the first hero skin to play voicelines when their Hero Power is played.