- For other representations of N'Zoth, see N'Zoth (disambiguation).
Background[edit | edit source]
While the character is long established in Warcraft lore, he was first depicted, revealed or even described in detail in Hearthstone, making it in a sense original to Hearthstone. Its full art was intentionally revealed to players in advance of the card itself, providing a first ever glimpse of the elusive horror. However, as of the Visions of N'Zoth patch in World of Warcraft, N'Zoth has taken a more prominent role and is shown in game, reflecting the art first introduced in Hearthstone.
The Hearthstone team collaborated "a lot" with the Warcraft lore developers when conceiving N'Zoth, and the artist for the card, Tyson Murphy, is lead character artist for World of Warcraft. While the card itself is part of the game of Hearthstone, the art for N'Zoth is intended to be canonical.
One of N'Zoth's tentacles features as a separate minion: Tentacle of N'Zoth.
- N'Zoth, the Corruptor is the Old God of Madness an Old God who is likely imprisoned beneath Azeroth's oceans, and is responsible for the spark of the Emerald Nightmare corrupting the Emerald Dream. Due to its oceanic nature, it is possible that it is the Old God which turned night elves into naga, corruption of Neltharion into Deathwing and it likely makes several indirect appearances in the quest-chains of the Vashj'ir zone. In ages past, N'Zoth engaged in a long war with C'Thun and Yogg-Saron, with Warlord Zon'ozz leading N'Zoth's army. During the events of World of Warcraft: Cataclysm, N'Zoth was a driving force behind the actions of Deathwing and during World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth the Old God once again assaulted Azeroth but was ultimately stopped by Magni and the heroes.
- During the days of the Black Empire, N'Zoth controlled a vast territory in the east of Kalimdor, covering much of what would later become known as the Eastern Kingdoms. Countless ages ago, Warlord Zon'ozz and his soldiers waged endless war in the name of N'Zoth against the forces of C'Thun and Yogg-Saron. N'Zoth was the first of the Old Gods to be sealed beneath the surface of Azeroth by the titan-forged after Y'Shaarj's death, though it is not known exactly where (only that its bastion was located somewhat southeast of the Well of Eternity).
In Hearthstone[edit | edit source]
- Very little is certain about N’Zoth (pronounced nuh-ZAH-th or /nə'zɑθ/)—most beings on Azeroth don't even know its name, much less what it looks like. Scraps of obscure lore claim that the Old God has been imprisoned beneath the darkest depths of the ocean for millennia beyond counting. There are also whispers that N'Zoth desires nothing more than to twist what was once noble and pure to its own inscrutable ends. Ultimately, most of what is "known" about this most insidious of beings is mere speculation.
- Still, looking at the evidence, it seems like N'Zoth feels a compulsive need to redecorate, and has the aesthetic sensibilities of someone that's super into skulls, black leather, and knee high platform boots. Emerald Dream? How about Emerald Nightmare. Neltharion the Earth Warder? Nah, let's go with DEATHWING THE DESTROYER! Prissy Night Elf nobility throwing a hissy fit? BAM! You get a snake body and actual hissing! Yes, it's rumored that N'Zoth was involved with twisting the Emerald Dream, corrupting one of Azeroth's most powerful dragons, and mutating the Highborne into the despicable Naga... but it's just getting started.
N'Zoth "embraces chaos", as reflected by the randomness of his Battlecry effect. Despite some confusion from other sources, in Hearthstone lore, while Yogg-Saron "opened the door when it corrupted Vordrassil", it was "not the only Old God at work in the Emerald Dream".
How to get[edit | edit source]
N'Zoth is unavailable to new players. It's unknown if he will become available again.
Previous availability[edit | edit source]
N'Zoth was only obtainable by purchasing the Madness at the Darkmoon Faire Mega Bundle with real money only.
Functionality[edit | edit source]
- Comes with his own portrait
- Has custom emotes
- Has custom tray
- Has special animation when using Hero Power Life Tap or Soul Tap.
Flavor text[edit | edit source]
When viewed in the Collection, N'Zoth has the following flavor text:
- When someone asks if you're an Old God, you can now say "YES!"
Sounds[edit | edit source]
|Trigger: Hero Power ||▶️Sacrifice…|
|Trigger: Hero Power ||▶️More…|
|Trigger: Hero Power ||▶️I feed…|
|Trigger: N'Zoth, the Corruptor||▶️I am multitudes.|
|Trigger: Plot Twist||▶️Nothing as it seems.|
|Trigger: Twisted Knowledge||▶️I know the unknowable. See the unseen.|
|Trigger: Drain Life||▶️Your suffering is my strength.|
|Trigger: Hellfire||▶️All is ruin.|
|Trigger: Shadowflame||▶️They give themselves to me.|
|Trigger: Bane of Doom||▶️Their end is but the beginning.|
|Trigger: Soulfire||▶️Into the depths…|
|Trigger: Twisting Nether||▶️The void consumes.|
|Trigger: Soul Fragment||▶️My eyes open.|
|Trigger: Deck of Chaos||▶️The future is history rewritten.|
|Attack ||▶️<attack exertion>|
|Death ||▶️It ends…|
|Emote: Greetings||▶️Welcome, my devoted chosen.|
|Emote: Well Played||▶️Glorious and terrible!|
|Emote: Oops||▶️With a whisper, chaos comes.|
|Emote: Threaten||▶️Dream with me…|
|Emote: Thanks||▶️Thank you.|
|Unused: Sorry||▶️I will atone.|
|Concede||▶️Back… to… sleep…|
|Start||▶️All eyes shall be opened!|
|Running out of time||▶️The hour is close at hand!|
|Thinking ||▶️…infinite truths…|
|Thinking ||▶️…the veil wanes…|
|Almost out of cards||▶️The end of my deck is nigh…|
|Out of cards||▶️My deck is barren!|
|Error: Need a weapon||▶️I need a weapon.|
|Error: Not enough mana||▶️Not enough mana.|
|Error: Minion exhausted||▶️That minion is spent.|
|Error: Hero already attacked||▶️I cannot attack.|
|Error: Minion not ready||▶️Give that one time to make ready.|
|Error: Hand already full||▶️My hand is full.|
|Error: Too many minions||▶️There are too many.|
|Error: Can't target Stealthed minion||▶️That minion has stealth.|
|Error: Can't play that card||▶️I cannot play that.|
|Error: Not a valid target||▶️I need a target.|
|Error: Must attack Taunt minion||▶️I must attack the minion with taunt.|
|Error: Generic||▶️It can not be done.|
|Selection in Choose Your Hero||▶️I can save you from what is to come.|
|Emote: Greetings [Lunar New Year]||▶️Another year, the dawning of the end.|
|Start [Mirror]||▶️And the sleeping city shall awaken.|
|Emote: Greetings [Holidays]||▶️Your holiday has come.|
|Emote: Wow||▶️The multitudes cry out!|
|Emote: Greetings [Happy New Year]||▶️Another year, the dawning of the end.|
|Unused: Greetings [Fire Festival]||▶️The fires consume, but the flames will cleanse.|
|Unused: Greetings [Pirate Day]||▶️Yo… ho… ho….|
|Emote: Greetings [Happy Halloween]||▶️On Hallow's End, the veil is torn…|
|Unused: Greetings [Happy Noblegarden]||▶️Numberless eggs hidden in the deeps…|
|Emote: Greetings [Mirror]||▶️Together we dream. Only one shall wake.|
|Start [Deathwing]||▶️Worldbreaker. You heard my call in the deep.|
|Start [Lady Vashj]||▶️Such gifts I bestowed to your people, your queen...|
|Start [Morgl the Oracle]||▶️Join me in the depths, little one.|
|Start [Prince Arthas]||▶️Your future unwinds, prince. Your crown will open the way.|
|Start [Sylvanas Windrunner]||▶️I see the machinations of your dark heart.|
|Start [Nemsy Necrofizzle]||▶️You, too, have heard the calling from the deep.|
|Start [Madame Lazul]||▶️Long have I whispered to you…|
|Start [The Thunder King]||▶️Servant of the Titans, your time has come.|
|Start [Garrosh Hellscream]||▶️Our gifts are not your weapons, warchief.|
|Start [Any Druid hero]||▶️I feel your roots in the deep, awakening the nightmare.|
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- N'Zoth's flavor text is a play on Corrupt Garrosh's flavor text.
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 18.104.22.168614 (2020-11-12): Trigger: Deck of Chaos sound added.
- Patch 22.214.171.124160 (2020-10-22): Added.