|Abilities:||Deal damage, Draw cards|
|Wiki tags:||Death-related, Targeted|
If your spells look like horrifying skulls, let's be honest, you should get to draw some cards.
How to get
They are uncraftable and cannot be crafted or disenchanted.
Two copies of regular Mortal Coil (Core) are obtained for raising warlock to level 2.
Two copies of golden Mortal Coil (Core) are obtained for winning 50 games as warlock.
Prior Year of the Gryphon's rotation on March 30, 2021:
- Two copies of Mortal Coil were a reward for raising a warlock to level 4.
- Two Golden copies of Mortal Coil were a reward for raising a warlock to levels 43 and 44.
- This spell has two steps:
- First it deals damage, queuing and resolving all on-damage triggers;
- Then, if its condition is satisfied, it draws a card, queuing and resolving triggers. Notice that minions that have been set pending destroy, such as by Acidmaw, are considered to be dying, and the condition will thus be satisfied.
- Notice that, despite the text of the card uses the word kills, this spell's drawing effect does not actually activate in response to the minion being killed (which will happen only during the Death Creation Step following the end of the current outermost Phase), but rather it requires the minion to be mortally wounded (i.e., with 0 or less current Health) or pending destroy (i.e., hit by a destroy effect such as Acidmaw). As a result, the player will draw a card before the minion actually dies: for example, if your hand is full and you cast Mortal Coil on a Clockwork Gnome, you will draw a card from your deck but will fail to draw a Spare Part due to your hand being full again.
In addition to the obvious removal potential, it is important to note that this spell can be cast at your own minion in order to draw a card (particularly useful in decks that are designed to draw as many cards as possible). It can also be played as a last ditch effort to draw a card that could save you from losing (such as a taunt) when at low life.
It is very helpful to increase spell damage for Mortal Coil in particular, as it will allow it to take out medium sized minions such as Shattered Sun Cleric and draw a card for a mere 1 mana.
Mortal Coil is a talented warlock spell from World of Warcraft. It causes the target to run in horror for 3 seconds, and restores a portion of the warlock's health. It is very useful as a form of crowd control, as well as a regular method of maintaining health levels.
- This card may have been named "Death Coil" during the game's alpha. Death Coil was the predecessor to the World of Warcraft ability Mortal Coil, but was replaced with Mists of Pandaria.
- The artwork for this card comes from the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game "Crown of the Heavens" series, for the card Despair of Undeath.
- Year of the Gryphon rotation (2021-03-30): Moved from Basic to Legacy set.
- Patch 220.127.116.1136 (2017-04-04): Now has Free rarity (previously: Common).
- Patch 18.104.22.16888 (2013-06-22): Name changed from "Death Coil" to "Mortal Coil".
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWPF-DezC3Y Tested in Patch 22.214.171.12457 (2015-09-29)
- Tested by User:Taohinton, 2015-02-22. Clockwork Gnome died with a full hand; Deathrattle triggered but had no effect.