Monster Hunt is a free single-player game mode added with the The Witchwood expansion. The mode released on April 26, 2018, two weeks after the release of the expansion. Monster Hunt is similar to the game mode of Dungeon Runs featured in Kobolds & Catacombs.
- The objective of the Monster Hunt is to defeat eight bosses of increasing difficulty to win the run.
- The player plays as one of four heroes, starting with a deck of ten cards, which differs for each hero.
- The player starts with 10 Health, and gains an additional 5 Health per defeated boss, up to 45 Health for the eighth, and final boss.
- The player always goes first. The enemy also does not get . On the final round, the boss starts with 2 mana crystals.
- After each round, the player is offered three bundles of three cards each. (listed below) The player can only select one of these three bundles. This allows the player to increase their deck size in tandem with the boss' decks increasing in size.
- After rounds 1 and 5, the player receives a Passive buff, selected from one of three random passive buffs from the pool of Passives. (listed below)
- These passives give a permanent effect to the player for the rest of the run. These are applied at the start of the match, meaning some buffs that affect cards will not affect cards added to your hand or deck later in the game.
- After rounds 3 and 7, the player receives a Treasure card, selected from one of three random cards from the pool of Treasure cards. (listed below) These are very powerful cards, and often have low mana costs.
- If the player beats a run with a given hero for the first time, the hero is given a crown on the selection page.
- Once the player has beaten the run with all four heroes, the Final Challenge is unlocked.
Four special heroes are featured, each having access to a special hero power and special new cards:
- Tess Greymane – Tracker (Rogue)
- Darius Crowley – Cannoneer (Warrior)
- Houndmaster Shaw – Houndmaster (Hunter)
- Toki, Time-Tinker – Time-Tinker (Mage)
Upon starting a fresh Monster Hunt, a player is given a deck of 10 cards. These decks are always the same for that class. Each deck runs one copy of each of the cards in the below lists.
- Boss encounters
After each win, the player gets to choose three cards to add to their deck. The three cards chosen belong to the same bundle, being selected from it randomly; the player then chooses one selection of three cards from three options. Each selection may contain multiple copies of the same card.
User consensus is that once a specific bundle type, for example pirates, is chosen it becomes more likely to appear again, allowing the use of "tribe" synergy.
|Blood to Ichor|
Some bosses are exclusive to certain classes.
|Boss||Encountered in Round||Hero Power||Notes|
|1||Guttural Howl: "Give a random minion in your hand +1/+1." (1 Mana)||Plays a "companionship" hunter deck.|
|Azalina Soulthief||6||8||Unfinished Business: "Summon three 1/1 Wisps." (2 Mana)||Plays a buff/swarm paladin deck.|
|4||5||Bulldoze: "Spend all your armor. Deal that much damage to a random minion." (1 Mana)|
|4||5||Beast Within: "Give your minions +1 Attack." (2 Mana)||Plays ever so aggressively.|
|4||5||Blood Red Apple: "Spells cost Health instead of Mana." (Passive)||Plays a mage deck with lots of secrets. Play as few spells as possible, or just gains a bunch of life afterwards.|
|4||5||Survival of the Fittest "All minions attack random enemy minions." (3 Mana)||Plays a pain warrior deck; plays a lot of high-attack minions and instant-kill cards.|
|8||Plunder: "Draw a weapon from your deck." (0 Mana)||Tracker's Final Nemesis. Plays a deck. Starts the game equipped with a Kingsbane.|
|4||5||Bloodthirst: "Give a friendly minion Lifesteal." (1 Mana)||Drops the active treasure.|
|6||7||One With the Trees: "Reduce the cost of all minions in your hand by (1)." (2 Mana)||Plays a deck. Beware of Y'Shaarj.|
||At 1/2 Health, transforms into Beastly Pete. Gains 15 Armor and changes Hero Power to Beast Within.|
|2||3||Poisoned Drink: "Whenever a player draws a card, deal 1 damage to them." (Passive)|
|2||3||Shank: "Deal 1 damage to a minion. Draw a card." (2 Mana)||Plays rogue pirates.|
|2||3||Hollow Needle: "Deal 1 damage to a minion. If it dies, restore 3 Health to your hero." (2 mana)||Plays aggressive priest.|
|7||Consume: "Destroy a friendly minion, then draw 3 cards." (1 Mana)||Plays a deck with all the tribes included. Drops the active treasure.|
|Face Collector||6||7||A New Face: "Transform a minion into a random one that costs (2) more." (0 Mana)||Plays a copy of your deck.|
|6||8||Together Forever: "Whenever a friendly minion dies, shuffle a copy into your deck." (Passive)||Plays a mill rogue deck.|
|4||5||Death and Taxes: "Deal 1 damage to your opponent for each minion they control." (1 Mana)|
|Glinda Crowskin||8||False Heart: "While you control a minion, your hero is Immune." (Passive)||Houndmaster's Final Nemesis. Plays a pain-oriented warlock deck, using False Heart to prevent damage.|
|2||3||Splinter: "Take 2 damage. Summon a 2/2 Treant." (1 Mana)|
|6||7||Nab: "Put an enemy minion into a sack." (2 Mana)||Sack has 3 health and re-summons the minion when destroyed. Drops the active treasure.|
|1||Starving: "Whenever a friendly Beast dies, draw a card." (Passive)||Plays a beast hunter deck.|
|3||Grave Mistake: "Trigger all minions' Deathrattles twice." (3 Mana)||Drops the Grave Mistake active treasure.|
|2||3||Witch's Kiss: "Transform a random minion into a 0/1 Frog with Taunt." (2 Mana)|
|6||8||From the Swamp: "Whenever an enemy dies, raise a 1/3 Bloated Zombie." (Passive)||Bloated Zombie has "Deathrattle: Deal 1 damage to all characters."|
|3||4||Chuck: "Destroy a friendly minion and deal its Attack to the enemy hero." (1 mana)||Drops the active treasure.|
|4||5||Terrify: "Shuffle a minion into its owner's deck. It costs (4) less." (3 Mana)|
|5||Cull the Meek: "Destroy a minion with the lowest Attack." (1 Mana)|
|8||Chronoacceleration: "Give a friendly minion Mega-Windfury. At the end of your turn, it dies." (2 Mana)||Time Tinker's Final Nemesis. Plays an aggressive elemental deck.|
|4||5||Devour Soul: "Halve the enemy hero's Health." (4 Mana)||Plays a burn priest deck.|
|Lord Godfrey||8||Pistol Barrage: "Deal 2 damage to a minion and the minions next to it." (1 Mana)||Cannoneer's Final Nemesis.|
|4||5||Trap Preparation: "Put a random Secret from your deck into the battlefield." (2 mana)||Individual introduction for every hero.|
|2||3||Unstable Growth: "Give all minions +1/+1." (1 Mana)|
|4||5||Poison Flask: "Deal 2 damage to a minion. If it survives, give it Poisonous." (2 Mana)|
|6||8||Desecrate: "Deal 1 damage to all minions. If any die, refresh this." (1 Mana)||Drops the active treasure.|
|4||5||Cannibalism: "Whenever a minion dies, give the adjacent minions +1 Attack." (Passive)|
|2||3||Call of the Raven: "Add a random 1-Cost minion to your hand." (1 Mana)|
|1||Fading Bite: "Gain +2 Attack this turn." (2 Mana)|
|3||Infatuation: "Gain control of enemy minions with 1 or less Attack." (1 Mana, autocast)||Drops the Enchanted Tune active treasure.|
|4||5||Tangled Wrath: "Whenever your opponent casts a spell, draw a spell from your deck." (Passive)|
|Shudderwock||4||5||Frumiosity: "All Battlecries trigger twice." (Passive)|
|Splintergraft||4||5||Grafted Bark: "Choose a minion. Add a 2/2 copy to your hand that costs (2)." (2 Mana)|
|2||3||...: "Silence a minion." (1 Mana)||Plays silence priest.|
|7||8||Harvest: "Destroy a friendly minion. Restore 8 Health to your hero." (1 Mana)||Starts the game equipped with a , and drops it as an active treasure.|
|6||7||Echoes of the Witchwood: "All spells have Echo." (Passive)|
|6||7||Monstrous Aura: "Your minions have +1/+1." (Passive)|
|3||It's Raining Fin!: "Draw 3 Murlocs from your deck." (2 Mana)||Drops the active treasure. Plays a deck.|
|4||5||Hypnotize: "Each player shuffles their hand into their deck and draws that many cards." (2 Mana)|
- For all loading screen tips for Monster Hunt, see Tips#Monster Hunt
- When playing Tess, an effective strategy is picking card bundles with one or more spells. Once one has been played within a game, Tess' hero power allows you to easily generate more copies and increase the power of your Jade Golems. The passive synergizes incredibly well with this.
- When playing Darius, playing your minions on both sides of the keeps it near the center, and able to hit any enemy minions summoned. Conversely, playing your minions on only one side will push the Cannon outwards and allow it to strike the enemy hero directly.
- To get the most out of , manage your minion positioning and number (similar to encounter). This can allow your Cannon(s) to strike two minions at once, which can be extremely useful on certain bosses, for example the Wisps of Azalina Soulthief.
- Additionally, you can summon small minions for your opponent (such as with ) so that you can fire multiple times, triggering any Inspire effects.
- When playing Houndmaster Shaw, get as soon as possible and so your hero power summons 3/3's with Rush.
- When playing with Toki, one way to play is with an deck. Your Hero Power will let you retry. For example, if you use and got a spell you won't use such as when you have no freezing cards, you can use to try again.
- The passive is incredibly useful, too. If you pick it up, you can use it with spell-producing spells like , and better still . Just try not to pick anything that is able to damage your board severely, such as , which may kill you if you are low on health and hits you. You can also pair it up with a or another Double TIme so that your spells that only targets enemies, such as , will get a huge boost.
- Hearthstone - The Witchwood. Blizzard Entertainment. Retrieved on 2018-04-10.