|Set:||Ashes of Outland|
|Abilities:||Replace Hero Power|
|Wiki tags:||Hero Power-related|
|Artist:||Alex Horley Orlandelli|
As the humble caterpillar becomes a beautiful butterfly, so too does a demon hunter become a hideous mass of writhing destruction and unfettered chaos.
- For the removed tutorial card, see Metamorphosis (removed).
How to get
Generated Hero Powers
- Metamorphosis will remember whatever hero power you had before casting the spell, and will always return to your most recent hero power other than another Demonic Blast.
- Multiple casts of Metamorphosis do not stack. Each cast will only set the hero power back to the first Demonic Blast with two uses left.
- Stealing the hero power with Grizzled Wizard and using the last charge will revert the player to whatever hero power the opponent initially had before casting Metamorphosis. Copying it with Sideshow Spelleater will return the player to the opponent's original hero power once the charges run out.
- If you play Metamorphosis then play a Hero card or Lord Jaraxxus or trigger Majordomo Executus before using the hero powers, the visual effect will permanently remain on your hero.
Metamorphosis allows for a huge payoff by investing a lot of mana upfront. The initial cast is either 5 mana to do nothing or 6 mana to deal 4 damage, both of which are fairly lackluster. However, on one or two turns you'll be able to deal 4 damage to any target for only 1 mana. Metamorphosis can be used as a finisher, threatening 8 total damage over 2 turns. Alternatively, it's an efficient source of minion removal. Either way, its cheap cost allows you to continue playing cards alongside the hero power, keeping up pressure on the board or responding to your opponent's plays.
The best way to play around an opponent's Demonic Blast is to play wide. With a board of medium or small minions, most of the 4 damage will be put to waste, greatly lowering the value of this card.
Metamorphosis is an iconic demon hunter ability. It allows the user to temporarily become a demon, empowering them for its duration. It first appeared in Warcraft III as the ultimate ability of the Demon Hunter.
It first appeared in World of Warcraft as a warlock ability. However, it was removed and redesigned when Demon Hunters became playable in Legion. This version of the ability was split into two spells, with Havoc demon hunters growing the iconic wings and shadowy aura, and Vengeance demon hunters becoming tougher to kill and growing spikes on their body (much like this card's artwork).
This card's actual effect most closely resembles its Warcraft III incarnation, which replaced the demon hunter's melee attacks with high-damaged ranged bolts of chaos.
- All 3 current Demon Hunters have interactions with Metamorphosis.
- Patch 220.127.116.11662 (2021-03-25): Fel spell school added.
- Patch 18.104.22.168261 (2020-07-14): Now reads: "..."Deal 4 damage."..." (Down from 5).
- Patch 22.214.171.124534 (2020-06-09): Added VFX effect on hero portrait after being played.
- Patch 126.96.36.199222 (2020-03-26): Added.