|Abilities:||Battlecry, Equip, Gain Armor, Replace Hero Power|
|Tags:||Hero Power-related, Weapon-generating|
|Artist:||Alex Horley Orlandelli|
|Voice actor:||Jamieson Price|
Battlecry: Equip a 3/8 Blood Fury.
"TRIFLING GNOME! YOUR ARROGANCE WILL BE YOUR UNDOING!!!!"
Other versions[edit | edit source]
How to get[edit | edit source]
|Golden Lord Jaraxxus||3200||1600|
Core set[edit | edit source]
Regular Lord Jaraxxus (Core) is obtained for raising warlock to level 10.
Golden Lord Jaraxxus (Core) is obtained for winning 500 games as warlock.
Previous availability[edit | edit source]
- Regular Lord Jaraxxus could also be obtained as a first-time reward for first time reaching Legend in Ranked mode from April 1, 2020 to March 25, 2021 (or as a reward of Climbing the Ranks (10/10) achievement).
Generated cards and Hero Powers[edit | edit source]
- Summoned minions
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- ▶️<attack sound>
- ▶️<death sound>
Emotes[edit | edit source]
|Well played||WELL PLAYED!|
|Greetings||You face Jaraxxus, Eredar Lord of the Burning Legion!|
|Concede||You win... BUT YOUR WORLD IS STILL DOOMED!|
|Thinking ||I wonder...|
|Thinking ||How shall I destroy you...|
|Running out of time||TIME RUNS OUT!|
|Almost out of cards||My deck! IT'S RUNNING OUT OF CARDS!|
|Out of cards||NOOOOO! I'M OUT OF CARDS!|
|Error: Too many minions||TOO MANY MINIONS.|
|Error: Generic||CAN'T DO THAT.|
|Error: Hand already full||TOO MANY CARDS!|
|Error: Hero already attacked||I ALREADY ATTACKED.|
|Error: Minion not ready||IT JUST GOT HERE!|
|Error: Minion exhausted||THAT THING ALREADY ATTACKED.|
|Error: Not enough mana||NOT ENOUGH MANA!|
|Error: Need a weapon||WHERE DID MY WEAPON GO?|
|Error: Can't play that card||CAN'T PLAY THAT.|
|Error: Can't target stealthed minions||IT'S STEALTHED.|
|Error: Not a valid target||NOT VALID.|
|Error: Must attack taunt minion||THAT TAUNT MINION IS IN MY WAY!|
|Lunar New Year Greetings||HAPPY NEW YEAR!|
|Winter Veil Greetings||I WILL FEAST ON YOUR SOUL, THIS WINTER VEIL!|
|Midsummer Fire Festival Greetings||LIGHT THE FIRES!|
|Noblegarden Festival Greetings||HAPPY NOBLEGARDEN!|
|New Year Greetings||HAPPY NEW YEAR!|
|After playing Wilfred Fizzlebang||TRIFLING GNOME! YOUR ARROGANCE WILL BE YOUR UNDOING!|
Unused[edit | edit source]
|Sorry||JARAXXUS IS... sorry.|
|Good game||GOOD GAME!|
Achievements[edit | edit source]
There are 2 achievements related to Lord Jaraxxus.
|Gameplay - Core - Classes||JARAXXUS FACE YOU!!!||Attack and kill 10 characters as Lord Jaraxxus.|
|Gameplay - Core - Classes||JARAXXUS FACE YOU!!!||Attack and kill 25 characters as Lord Jaraxxus.|
Lore[edit | edit source]
- Lord Jaraxxus is an eredar lord of the Burning Legion and the second encounter of the Trial of the Crusader raid instance. Lord Jaraxxus is accidentally summoned by Grand Warlock Wilfred Fizzlebang when the gnome attempts to summon a doomguard for the next challenge. Jaraxxus kills Fizzlebang for his efforts.
In Hearthstone lore, Lord Jaraxxus would later become mechanically augmented by Dr. Boom as Mecha-Jaraxxus with The Boomsday Project, although how and why this happened is unknown. Later, he goes to command the Rusted Legion in the Trial by Felfire adventure, but he's stopped by Illidan Stormrage and Aranna Starseeker.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The artwork for this card comes from the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game "The Hunt for Illidan" series, for the card Kurzon the False.
- Lord Jaraxxus is the first card in Hearthstone to change its type, going from a minion to a hero card.
- Lord Jaraxxus was added fairly early in the game's initial development. At the time the game had two heroes for each class, one representing the Alliance and one representing the Horde, the Alliance warlock being Wilfred Fizzlebang. When a developer from the World of Warcraft team who was playtesting the game commented "I hope there's a Lord Jaraxxus card in this [Wilfred Fizzlebang] deck", Ben Brode realised "There should be a Jaraxxus card!" and set about designing the card. Given the Alliance warlock hero at the time of Jaraxxus' design, the card therefore originally had a good chance of being played by Fizzlebang, faithfully reenacting the classic scene where the gnome summons and is destroyed by the eredar lord.
- Some of Lord Jaraxxus' soundbites from his appearance in World of Warcraft's Trial of the Crusader encounter have been reused for his emotes in Hearthstone.
- Despite his fairly minor role in World of Warcraft, Jaraxxus became a popular figure in the community, due in part to several of his soundbites being featured in Mr.Voletron's "You FACE Jaraxxus" remix.
- Lord Jaraxxus' (presumably metaphorical) fist features as its own card.
- In World of Warcraft's Nighthold raid, players can loot the Golden Hearthstone Card: Lord Jaraxxus, a toy with the text "Use: Destroy your hero and replace it with Lord Jaraxxus." The toy's presence reflects the recursive relationship between the two games, with Lord Jaraxxus gaining a second wave of popularity as a Hearthstone card years after his original appearance as a World of Warcraft raid boss, with this second incarnation serving in turn to inspire a tribute item in the original game some 8 years later.
- Lord Jaraxxus apparently gets invited to parties at Karazhan frequently, in part because, unlike Prince Malchezaar, he is able to restrain himself from destroying the tower's various furniture.
- According to Medivh, Jaraxxus is apparently also an amazing karaoke singer.
As a minion card[edit | edit source]
- Lord Jaraxxus' Battlecry was similar to the functionality of hero cards, a card type first introduced in the Knights of the Frozen Throne expansion. However, Jaraxxus was not reclassified from a minion to a hero card upon the release of Knights of the Frozen Throne due to some important differences in functionality; notably, Jaraxxus' Battlecry always sets the hero's Health to 15, whereas hero cards retain the hero's existing Health. Furthermore, while hero cards are an entirely separate card type that can only enter the battlefield by being played from a player's hand, Lord Jaraxxus can enter play as a 3/15 minion through put into battlefield and random summon effects.
- Previously, completing a game as Lord Jaraxxus would always grant warlock experience, even if the player was in fact playing another class (such as a priest acquiring Lord Jaraxxus using Thoughtsteal). However, this bug has now been fixed, and experience will always be granted to the player's selected class.
- Light's Champion, a minion released with The Grand Tournament, used to be able to silence a Lord Jaraxxus hero. This would allow Light's Champion to remove attack buffs from Jaraxxus, such as from Heroic Strike or Savage Combatant. Silencing Jaraxxus would also remove the Frozen status from Jaraxxus. In addition, a Jaraxxus hero set to 1 Health with Repentance would be restored to 15 Heath when silenced. With the release of Patch 184.108.40.20633, Lord Jaraxxus can no longer be targeted by Light's Champion.
- Ben Brode has described Lord Jaraxxus as his #1, #2, #3, #4 and #5 favourite cards. Lord Jaraxxus was also designed either primarily or entirely by Brode. It still remains his favorite as of July 15, 2017.
- Since Hearthstone's launch, Lord Jaraxxus was infamous for his crippling weakness to Sacrificial Pact, which could also target and destroy the Lord Jaraxxus hero, reasoned by him "technically" being a Demon minion replacing the hero. This enabled warlocks to instantly win against Jaraxxus through a single card, and Zephrys the Great was even able to offer Sacrificial Pact to defeat an enemy Jaraxxus. In Ashes of Outland, Sacrificial Pact was nerfed so that it could only target friendly Demons, so Jaraxxus no longer has his notably humiliating weakness. However, a player controlling the Jaraxxus hero can still kill themself with Sacrificial Pact.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Year of the Gryphon rotation (2021-03-30): Moved from Classic to Legacy set.
- Patch 220.127.116.11662 (2021-03-25): Is now a hero card instead of a minion. Now grants 5 Armor. No longer sets your maximum Health to 15.
- Previously: Battlecry: Destroy your hero and replace it with Lord Jaraxxus. (9 mana, 3 Attack, 15 Health, legendary)
- Patch 18.104.22.16817 (2017-10-17): No longer triggers Repentance, Sacred Trial, and Snipe.
- Patch 22.214.171.12490 (2016-11-29): Lord Jaraxxus's Hero Power INFERNO! now has a suitably impressive visual effect.
- Patch 126.96.36.19974 (2016-04-24): Wow emote added. Sorry emote no longer available.
- Patch 188.8.131.5251 (2016-03-14): "I WILL FEAST ON YOUR SOUL, THIS WINTERVEIL!" changed to "I WILL FEAST ON YOUR SOUL, THIS WINTER VEIL!"
- Patch 184.108.40.20656 (2015-12-04): Winter Veil emote added.
- Patch 220.127.116.1124 (2014-07-22): Text changed from "...replace him with..." to "...replace it with...".
References[edit | edit source]
- Good Game Well Played - Designing Competitive Hearthstone with Ben Brode. (2016-08-10).
- Ben Brode on Twitter. (2017-07-07).
- Puffin on reddit. (2017-07-08). Retrieved on 2018-11-24.
- Disguised Toast - Hearthstone Experiments: SILENCING JARAXXUS?
- Ben Brode on Twitter. (2014-11-25).
- Ben Brode on Twitter. (2014-11-14).