|Set:||Ashes of Outland|
“Descent of Dragons was merely a set back!”
- For other appearances of Kael'thas Sunstrider, see Kael'thas Sunstrider (disambiguation).
How to get
Golden Kael'thas Sunstrider is obtained by completing the Trial by Felfire Challenge missions.
Kael'thas Sunstrider is uncraftable and cannot be crafted or disenchanted.
- Kael'thas counts cards whether he is in play or not.
- If the next spell you cast in a turn can be discounted with Kael'thas Sunstrider's effect and Kael'thas is playable, yellow aura will appear around the card to signify his condition is met.
- However, if you cast exactly three spells before summoning Kael'thas, after playing him you won't be able to use his effect to cast a free spell. For example, if you use two and to summon Kael'thas on turn 3, you won't be able to cast a at a reduced cost.
- The effect triggers for every third spell cast, with no limit on the number of times it can trigger each turn. This means that the 3rd, 6th, 9th, 12th,... spell you play each turn cost (0).
Kael'thas works best in Combo decks as a way to cycle through cards extremely quickly or enable large amounts of burst damage. When building a deck around Kael, you need to mix plenty of low mana spells with high cost ones, giving you ways to trigger Kael's effect reliably. Zero mana spells like , , and are highly effective at fulfilling Kael'thas' requirement.
Like most other Legendaries with Triggered effects, never expect Kael'thas to survive your opponent's turn. He is almost certainly a priority kill for your opponent, so it's best to make the most of his effect the turn he's summoned.
Most classes can take some advantage of Kael's effect.
- Demon Hunter has a handful of cost reduction spells like . Keeping the hand empty can also chain together plenty of Outcast effects, while combining a free into is lots of card draw to continue casting free spells. can also be included as a finisher.
- Druid has multiple ways to regain mana, extending their reach and letting them fuel Kael'thas. Kael's effect can be spent to cheat out huge cards like , , , and . With the proper setup, a Druid can draw their entire deck in a single turn. In Wild, this card draw can be combined with to easily set up an empty deck and prepare to combo your opponent, or a into for high damage with spells.
- Mage can use cheap spell-generating spells like , , and to easily activate Kael'thas. Kael's effect can be used on larger spells like , or card draw like . Mage also has access to to make casting spells even easier.
- Paladin has which becomes excellent fuel for Kael'thas once it's discounted to zero by , and will refill your hand with all the copies you need. , and, in Wild, are then all nice cards to play. If you can make this work in a murloc deck, and in Wild also work well.
- Priest in Wild can use Kael'thas to power a deck with , taking full advantage of free spells to deal massive damage with . They also have to cheapen spells and for additional fuel.
- Shaman has a few ways to reduce costs while drawing cards, such as and . The free spell can be or , letting the Shaman summon an important card like and combo the opponent to death. Do keep in mind that Kael'thas will not remove Overload, meaning a large chain of Overload spells could mean skipping your next turn if your opponent isn't killed.
- At some point before The Burning Crusade Classic release, Kael'thas Sunstrider's original voice actor, Quinton Flynn, was replaced, along with all of audio voicelines recorded with his sounds. These are Quinton's voicelines before being replaced.
- Kael'thas Sunstrider was the Prince of Quel'Thalas, the last of the Sunstrider dynasty, as well as a senior member of the Kirin Tor. After the fall of Quel'Thalas, Kael'thas led what remained of his people, the sin'dorei, in the service of the Alliance. Striving to placate his people's addiction to magic, he later covertly allied with Illidan Stormrage, but betrayed him to the Burning Legion when its master, the demon lord Kil'jaeden, enticed Kael with the promise of salvation for the blood elves.
- He was branded a traitor after his allegiance to the Legion was revealed, losing the support of Quel'Thalas. Defeated in the Tempest Keep, he would be brought back by his demon masters and return to Azeroth a shadow of his former self. Kael'thas' purpose was to summon Kil'jaeden through the Sunwell, but his plans were foiled by the Shattered Sun Offensive agents and the sacrifice of Anveena Teague. He was defeated by their forces in Magisters' Terrace.
- Kael'thas was the fifth card available in Play mode before the release of the expansion it belonged to. The others were , , , and .
- The card's flavor text is based on the World of Warcraft meme merely a setback, which originated from Kael'thas' speech in Magisters' Terrace. In this case, "merely a set back" is a pun on the fact that Descent of Dragons was the card set preceding Ashes of Outland.
- Unknown patch: Audio files updated.
- Patch 18.104.22.168436 (2022-04-26): Now reads: "Every third spell you cast each turn costs (1)." (Up from 0)
- Patch 22.214.171.124540 (2022-04-05): Now costs 6 Mana (Down from 7). Now reads: "Every third spell you cast each turn costs (0)." (Down from 1)
- Patch 126.96.36.199359 (2020-08-18): Now reads: "Every third spell you cast each turn costs (1)." (Up from 0)
- Patch 188.8.131.52932 (2020-04-20): Now costs 7 mana (Up from 6).
- Patch 184.108.40.206246 (2020-03-17): Added.
- Blizzard Entertainment (2020-03-17). Hearthstone Updates – March 17 – Patch 16.6. Blizzard Entertainment. Retrieved on 2020-03-17.