Inspire is a special kind of triggered effect which activates each time the controlling hero uses their Hero Power. It was created for, and remains closely associated with, The Grand Tournament expansion card set.
Inspire effects are represented by a light blue flag icon under the minion's portrait on battlefield.
- Inspire effects take effect after the effect of the triggering Hero Power, which can be strategically important.
- Example: Using while controlling a will result in a being summoned before the Murloc Knight's Inspire effect is activated: thus, if you already had 6 minions in play, the Silver Hand Recruit will prevent Murloc Knight from summoning a Murloc due to the board having become full.
- Example: If you control and use , the newly-summoned Totem will be buffed by Thunder Bluff Valiant's Inspire effect.
- An Inspire minion put into the battlefield by other Inspire effects will not have its effects triggered by the original Hero Power usage, since all eligible Inspire effects have already been queued for activation before the new minion enters play.
- An Inspire minion put into the battlefield by a Hero Power which summons minions (e.g., the Tavern Brawl Hero Power Pile On!!!) will have its effects triggered by that same Hero Power usage, since the new minion enters play before eligible Inspire effects are queued for activation.
- If the consequences of using a Hero Power kills a hero, it is not possible for a triggered Inspire effect to save them.
- Minions in play with Inspire effects are denoted by a small blue flag icon on the bottom of their portraits.
- Similarly to Inspire effects, and are triggered effects that trigger when a Hero Power is used, after the effect of the triggering Hero Power. However, while all Inspire effects belong to minions, Poisoned Blade is a weapon a Dart Trap is a Secret (it also triggers when the opponent's Hero Power is used, not the controlling player's).
|Brave Archer||Minion||Common||1||2||1||Inspire: If your hand is empty, deal 2 damage to the enemy hero.|
|Lowly Squire||Minion||Common||1||1||2||Inspire: Gain +1 Attack.|
|Argent Watchman||Minion||Rare||2||2||4||Can't attack. Inspire: Can attack as normal this turn.|
|Boneguard Lieutenant||Minion||Common||2||3||2||Inspire: Gain +1 Health.|
|Coliseum Manager||Minion||Rare||3||2||5||Inspire: Return this minion to your hand.|
|Dragonhawk Rider||Minion||Common||3||3||3||Inspire: Gain Windfury this turn.|
|Orgrimmar Aspirant||Minion||Common||3||3||3||Inspire: Give your weapon +1 Attack.|
|Silver Hand Regent||Minion||Common||3||3||3||Inspire: Summon a 1/1 Silver Hand Recruit.|
|Dalaran Aspirant||Minion||Common||4||3||5||Inspire: Gain Spell Damage +1.|
|Murloc Knight||Minion||Common||4||3||4||Inspire: Summon a random Murloc.|
|Savage Combatant||Minion||Rare||4||5||4||Inspire: Give your hero +2 Attack this turn.|
|Spawn of Shadows||Minion||Rare||4||5||4||Inspire: Deal 4 damage to each hero.|
|Tournament Medic||Minion||Common||4||1||8||Inspire: Restore 2 Health to your hero.|
|Kvaldir Raider||Minion||Common||5||4||4||Inspire: Gain +2/+2.|
|Mukla's Champion||Minion||Common||5||4||3||Inspire: Give your other minions +1/+1.|
|Nexus-Champion Saraad||Minion||Legendary||5||4||5||Inspire: Add a random spell to your hand.|
|Recruiter||Minion||Epic||5||5||4||Inspire: Add a 2/2 Squire to your hand.|
|Thunder Bluff Valiant||Minion||Rare||5||3||6||Inspire: Give your Totems +2 Attack.|
|Kodorider||Minion||Epic||6||3||5||Inspire: Summon a 3/5 War Kodo.|
|Void Crusher||Minion||Rare||6||5||4||Inspire: Destroy a random minion for each player.|
|Confessor Paletress||Minion||Legendary||7||5||4||Inspire: Summon a random Legendary minion.|
|Transfer Student||Minion||Epic||2||2||2||Inspire: Draw a card.|
Sources of Inspire
This section lists cards which generate cards that have the ability to Inspire.
Cards with the Inspire mechanic
Even though these cards don't possess the keyword, they behave exactly the same as Inspire cards.
- "The courageous deeds of champions have long served as a source of inner strength for others, and witnessing a hero’s gallantry in action can be enough to inspire even the lowliest of squires to great feats of strength."
Conceptually, Inspire effects are meant to reflect the minion being inspired to "great victory" by the heroism of the controlling player. Inspire summon effects are described as "[attracting] additional allies to your cause".
Inspire was the design concept that "started the whole development of The Grand Tournament." Even before the developers knew what they wanted the theme or setting for the expansion to be, they knew that they wanted it to feature the Inspire mechanic. The developers plan and design substantially in advance, and therefore whenever they came up with a card that had such an effect, they set it aside for use in a Hero Power-themed set at some point in the future. was in the minds' of the developers as they were searching for a new mechanic for the expansion. The developers had previously prototyped "activated powers" - alternate abilities minions could effect instead of attacking. However, they had been unable to reach a satisfactory design. Inspire provided a way to do something similar, by granting an additional activated effect that belonged to the minion and yet that the player could directly choose when to enact.
Inspire was initially represented by the text "Whenever you use your Hero Power do X". The developers felt that replacing it with a new keyword would both save space on cards and also highlight the new mechanic as a key feature of the new expansion. They also felt that the game had been around long enough that it was acceptable to introduce a new keyword.
Alternate names for Inspire during development include 'Empower', 'Heroism', 'On Hero Power' and 'Hero Powered'.
Inspire cards were intentionally made weak. The team ultimately weren't sold on the gameplay of Inspire by the time The Grand Tournament entered development. Since they had no time to redesign the mechanic and couldn't scrap the expansion's core theme, they felt safer lowering the power level of the cards.
- Inspire is the first keyword to relate to Hero Powers.
- Inspire was the first new full keyword added to the game. The only other keyword added before it was Mega-Windfury, which was only seen on .
- Showcase matches streamed just before the expansion's release featured a golden version of the Inspire icon, due to using an old build.
- Rogue is the only class not to have any class specific Inspire minions. This has been jokingly ascribed by developers to equipping a knife not being especially "inspiring".
- Descent of Dragons eventually reused Inspire's concept, with the hunter cards and also being triggered by using your Hero Power, though they are worded with a more generic "After you use your Hero Power" instead.
- Whirthun on Twitter. (2015-07-23).
- Murloc Knight Dream. (2015-08-26).
- Double Confessor Paletress!. (2016-09-22).
- Whirthun on Twitter. (2015-08-10).
- The Grand Tournament: Get Inspired. (2015-07-30).
- #100 - The Angry Chicken: “May the Chicken be with You” - Ben Brode (2015-09-01)
- Ben Brode on Twitter. (2015-07-27).
- Dean Ayala on Twitter. (2021-01-13).
- Ben Brode on Twitter. (2015-07-24).