|Abilities:||Deal damage, Draw cards|
|Wiki tags:||Freeze-related, Targeted|
This may appear weak at frost glance, but it's actually a very ice spell.
How to get
Icicle can be obtained through crafting only.
- Before March 30, 2021, Icicle could be obtained through Classic card packs.
A fairly weak source of removal. If the target is frozen, Icicle can at least pay for itself by drawing another card, but that usually requires spending a card for that effect. Icicle pairs best with Water Elemental as a reoccurring source of freezing.
Icicle's name is similar to Mastery: Icicles, the passive Mastery effect for Frost mages in World of Warcraft. Damaging an enemy with Frostbolt stores a portion of the damage as an icicle, and casting Ice Lance will automatically launch all stored icicles (up to a maximum of 5) at the target.
- Icicle, along with Tome of Intellect, Call of the Void, and Pilfer were added to the Classic set in patch 18.104.22.168405 to make up for the fact that the mage, warlock, and rogue classes previously had fewer cards available to them in Standard format as a result of Ice Block, Ice Lance, Power Overwhelming, and Conceal being moved to the Wild format in the Hall of Fame set.
- When designing the four aforementioned cards, Blizzard were thinking about new players' first experiences playing Hearthstone. The new Classic cards were designed to be relatively straightforward while still creating some exciting moments, and give players a chance to see and play with cards that they don't own. At the same time, it's important that the new Classic cards aren't so powerful that they limit future design or cause problems since they're intended to permanently remain in Standard.
- Year of the Gryphon rotation (2021-03-30): Moved from Classic to Legacy set.
- Patch 22.214.171.124662 (2021-03-25): Now has Frost spell school (previously: no spell school).
- Patch 126.96.36.199405 (2018-11-05): Added.