|Abilities:||Copy, Spellburst, Summon|
|Wiki tags:||Battlefield-related, Beast-generating, Death-related, Resurrection effect, Spell-related|
"You wish to know my secrets, hmm? I carry a little bits of tuna in the sleeves of my robe, he loves that. Oh, you meant the risen dead? That was trivial, trivial."
How to get
|Golden Headmaster Kel'Thuzad||3200||1600|
Summoning 6 cat minions while Headmaster Kel'Thuzad is in play will add a copy of Mr. Bigglesworth to your hand.
This is a list of minions that count as cats for Headmaster Kel'Thuzad to summon Mr. Bigglesworth. This also counts uncollectible minions and even some adventure-exclusive minions.
- Headmaster Kel'Thuzad must be alive after the spell has resolved in order for the Spellburst effect to take place.
- Minions killed through Professor Slate's effect does trigger Headmaster Kel'Thuzad, as well as killing them by swapping their health and attack such as Confuse and Topsy Turvy.
- Headmaster Kel'Thuzad does work with spells that force attacks, like Ramming Speed and Mass Hysteria.
- In the case of cards like Nagrand Slam, minions summoned and killed by the same spell will be resurrected.
- Unlike other Spellbursts, Headmaster Kel'Thuzad's Spellburst will trigger if he changes his controller by the time the spell has resolved. For example, his Spellburst will trigger if Treachery is cast on him, while all other Spellburst minions would not trigger.
- This can easily be seen if the spell is used to kill an enemy Sylvanas Windrunner if she takes control of Headmaster Kel'Thuzad, who will resummon Sylvanas (as well as any other minions killed by the spell) for your opponent.
- Internally, Headmaster Kel'Thuzad uses the same counter for both his Spellburst having been triggered and the amount of cats summoned to get Mr. Bigglesworth, which causes buggy interactions when both of Headmaster Kel'Thuzad's triggers are used simultaneously. If his Spellburst triggered first, you will only need to play four cats to get Mr. Bigglesworth. If you played a cat minion first, then playing even a non-spell card will trigger his Spellburst. This bug with cats acting as Spellburst triggers was fixed with Patch 220.127.116.11213.
Headmaster Kel'Thuzad has good stats for the cost, but his true potential lies in his Spellburst, when combined with cards like Lightning Storm or Flamestrike, given that the opposing Hero has a decent board of low-health minions. If you wish to either activate his ability later or simply cannot use it, playing it may not be such a bad idea, as your opponent will be hesitant to play any minions if they do not have an answer to Kel'Thuzad. This could backfire if your opponent has a spell like Fireball, wasting his ability.
Headmaster Kel'Thuzad is also good for stealing a single minion. Using Headmaster Kel'Thuzad followed by a Coerce or Shadow Word: Death on the 8/8 from Libram of Hope or something like Kalecgos can be devastating, sometimes more so than a board of small minions.
Ideal situations involve lowering Kel and/or your damage spells cost so you can deploy the combo quicker. Warlock has The Dark Portal to draw Kel from your deck at cost 0. Then play Kel with a damage spell like Soul Rend or Hellfire to wipe and res the board.
Don't hesitate to deploy a mass damage spell to wipe out all minions on the board (except Headmaster). Whatever is killed (including yours) will be revived at full health!
- Mr. Bigglesworth
The easiest way to get Mr. Bigglesworth is using Halazzi, the Lynx followed by Emperor Thaurissan. This will give you a large number of 0-mana cats, letting you easily fill the board. Keep in mind that this has no practical purpose - Mr. Bigglesworth is functionally identical to a Snowflipper Penguin - and is merely a just for fun combo.
- Effect triggering
- ▶️You serve me now!
- ▶️Kitty, kitty![You play a cat]
- ▶️Ah, Mr. Bigglesworth![You have 6 cats on your battlefield]
- ▶️NOOOOOOO!!![Mr. Bigglesworth is destroyed]
In this earlier period of Azeroth's history, he is the Headmaster of the Scholomance Academy, a renowned magical institution of higher learning he founded with Lord Barov and Mindrender Illucia which really serves as a cover for the activities of the Cult of the Damned taking place under the school - the slaying of students and locals from the region to provide corpses for The Scourge, and the hideous necromantic torture experiments of Doctor Krastinov, Ras Frostwhisper, and Disciplinarian Gandling.
- In the public Hearthstone Team AMA on April 14, 2020, the developers were hinting at cats as being a special thing in the upcoming year. This might have been a reference to Mr. Bigglesworth, or potentially more things still yet to come in the expansion after Scholomance Academy. As of May 2021, it seems to be about Bigglesworth.
- Patch 18.104.22.168359 (2020-08-18):
- Headmaster Kel'Thuzad's Spellburst will now resurrect minions that are destroyed by spells that swap Attack and Health, and spells that have been granted Poisonous by Professor Slate.
- Summoning a cat will no longer allow Headmaster Kel'Thuzad's Spellburst to trigger on the opponent's turn. The Headmaster just gets really excited about cats...
- Server-side patch (2020-08-13): Fixed a bug where Headmaster Kel'Thuzad would not resurrect minions that were destroyed from being returned to a full hand.
- Patch 22.214.171.124613 (2020-07-30): Added.