|Abilities:||Combo, Deal damage, Return to hand|
When all else fails, nothing beats a swift whack upside the head.
How to get
- Regular Headcrack could also be obtained as a first-time reward for first time reaching Silver 10 and Gold 10 in Ranked mode from April 1, 2020 to March 25, 2021 (or as a reward of Climbing the Ranks (2/10) and (4/10) achievements).
- This spell has two steps:
- First, it damages its target, queuing and resolving triggers;
- Then, if comboed, at the end of the turn (just before the opponent's Start of Turn Phase) it is returned to the hand. Notice that this is a true return effect, not a spell-generation effect: at the end of turn the card is moved out of the graveyard and into the hand.
As a damage spell, Headcrack benefits greatly from Spell Damage.
Strictly speaking, its primary effect is a weak, costly alternative to most other classes' arsenal, such as Arcane Shot, Frostbolt, Mind Blast or Lightning Bolt. Its combo, however, sets it apart from the rest and opens up some very unique options:
- it can be used to repeatedly trigger friendly minion effects, such as Gadgetzan Auctioneer, Violet Teacher or Questing Adventurer
- it can be used to defuse the opponent's Secrets, such as Counterspell, Ice Block or Eye for an Eye
- it can be used late game as a mana sink, ie, to spend otherwise unused mana to damage an opponent (same usage as Hunter's Steady Shot ability)
- it guarantees you will have an extra card in hand next turn, which is helpful in some instances (Twilight Drake, Mountain Giant)
- Headcrack's artwork was changed in patch 18.104.22.168761. According to game designer Liv Breeden, this is because the original was deemed too dark and hard to read.
- The artwork originally used for this card prior to patch 22.214.171.124761 comes from the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game "March of the Legion" series, for the card Head Trauma.
- Year of the Gryphon rotation (2021-03-30): Moved from Classic to Legacy set.
- Patch 126.96.36.199761 (2019-07-01): Received new card art.
- Patch 188.8.131.5290 (2013-10-02): Now costs 3 mana (Up from 2).
- Previously: Deal 2 damage to the enemy hero. Combo: Return this to your hand next turn. [2 mana, Rare]
- Andy Chalk and Bo Moore (2019-07-02). Blizzard says Hearthstone card art changes have nothing to do with China. PC Gamer. Retrieved on 2019-07-25.