|Tags:||Area of effect|
|Artist:||Romain De Santi|
Deal 5 damage to all enemy minions.
When the ground is on fire, you should not stop, drop, and roll.
Other versions[edit | edit source]
How to get[edit | edit source]
They are uncraftable and cannot be crafted or disenchanted.
Core set[edit | edit source]
Two copies of regular Flamestrike (Core) are obtained for raising mage to level 8.
Two copies of golden Flamestrike (Core) are obtained for winning 250 games as mage.
Previous availability[edit | edit source]
Prior Year of the Gryphon's rotation on March 30, 2021:
- Two copies of Flamestrike were a reward for raising a mage to level 10.
- Two Golden copies of Flamestrike were a reward for raising a mage to levels 51 and 52.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Flamestrike is potentially one of the most powerful cards in the mage's arsenal. While cards like Polymorph and Fireball excel at dealing with single targets, Flamestrike can clear an entire board of minions with a single cast. Flamestrike is essentially a far more powerful version of Arcane Explosion.
Flamestrike's already formidable powers can be improved with Spell Damage to be even more effective. The majority of minions will be destroyed by a Flamestrike, although tougher ones may require some additional damage.
Flamestrike's high mana cost prohibits too much combo play, but still allows room for lower-cost instant damage spells like Arcane Explosion, Arcane Missiles, Frostbolt, Ice Lance and/or the hero power Fireblast. Using these spells in combination (especially with spell damage minions) can allow the mage to destroy several high-health minions in a single turn.
As with any area of effect spell, Flamestrike is ideally reserved until it can be used on a sizeable enemy force. However, in a pinch Flamestrike can serve just as well as a (somewhat expensive) single-target attack.
Lore[edit | edit source]
- "What's betta den fire? More fire, mon!" —Ta'zo
Flamestrike is a targeted area of effect spell available to all mages. It deals instant damage and applies a damage over time effect to all enemies in the targeted area. It first appeared as a long-channelled AoE spell of Blood Mages in Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The artwork for this card comes from the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game "Heroes of Azeroth" series, depicting the spell Flamestrike.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Year of the Gryphon rotation (2021-03-30): Moved from Basic to Legacy set.
- Patch 126.96.36.199662 (2021-03-25): Now reads: Deal 5 damage to all enemy minions. (previously: Deal 4 damage to all enemy minions.). Now has Fire spell school (previously: no spell school).
- Patch 188.8.131.5236 (2017-04-04) Now has Free rarity (previously: Common).
- Patch 184.108.40.20620 (2017-02-28): Now appears in Arena drafts 50% less often.
- Alpha patch (unknown date, pre-May 2013): No longer deals damage to heroes.
- Previously: Deal 4 damage to all enemies. [7 mana].