|Set:||Whispers of the Old Gods|
|Abilities:||Battlecry, Destroy, Increment attribute|
|Wiki tags:||Area of effect, Secret-related|
You don't want to be around after it has eaten an explosive trap. You thought Sludge Belcher was bad...
How to get
|Eater of Secrets||100||20|
|Golden Eater of Secrets||800||100|
- Since Battlecries always activate before any summoning-related Secrets, Eater of Secrets will destroy any Secrets without triggering them.
Eater of Secrets is a specific anti-Secret tech card. The most obvious reason for using this card is decks such as Secret Paladin, a paladin deck which uses Mysterious Challenger to put several Secrets into play in a single turn. Other examples include Freeze Mage (Ice Block, Ice Barrier) and various hunter decks (Explosive Trap, Freezing Trap, Snake Trap).
However, Eater of Secrets needs to destroy a Secret to get its value, otherwise it is an expensive 2/4 minion for 4 mana. This makes it desirable in a meta where Secret-using decks are very popular, or to complement a deck that is otherwise highly vulnerable to Secret decks. In the right situations Eater of Secrets can be an extremely powerful and useful card, but outside of these encounters it is generally very poor.
Compared to other Secret tech cards, Eater of Secrets has the worst base stats if it does not remove any Secrets, and still below average than Kezan Mystic and SI:7 Infiltrator if used against one Secret. When multiple Secrets are in play, however, it fares much more effectively, and compared to Chief Inspector, it costs 1 mana less.
- ▶️I know who you are.
- ▶️<death sound>
- The n'raqi, commonly known as the faceless ones or the faceless, are a monstrous race that arose from the organic matter that seeped from the Old Gods' blighted forms during the primordial era of Azeroth. Cunning and intelligent, they serve their eldritch masters with fanatical loyalty.
- This card was introduced almost a year after the rise to prominence of the Secret Paladin with Mysterious Challenger in The Grand Tournament. Long complained about, Eater of Secrets appears to provide a strong tech card to counter this deck. Its introduction also appears timed to replace the previous anti-Secret tech card, Kezan Mystic, due to the arrival of Standard format.
- At the time of its addition, Eater of Secrets represents the strongest anti-Secret synergy yet seen in Hearthstone.
- This card's summoning quote "I know who you are." is a response to Mysterious Challenger's summoning quote "Who am I? None of your business!".
- Patch 184.108.40.20674 (2016-04-24): Added.