|Abilities:||Deal damage, Restore Health|
Deal 2 damage. Restore 2 Health to your hero.
"I've just sucked one year of your life away."
Other versions[edit | edit source]
How to get[edit | edit source]
They are uncraftable and cannot be crafted or disenchanted.
Previous availability[edit | edit source]
Prior Year of the Gryphon's rotation on March 30, 2021:
- Two copies of Drain Life were automatically included in all players' collections upon unlocking the warlock class.
- Two Golden copies of Drain Life were a reward for raising a warlock to levels 45 and 46.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- This spell has two steps:
- As usual, Spell Damage increases the damage dealt by this spell but it does not affect the amount of Health restored, while Prophet Velen separately increases both the damage dealt and the Health restored.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Although this card provides Warlocks a middling amount of healing - something that will always be handy for Warlocks, Drain Life is marginally worse for removal compared to alternatives like Shadow Bolt or Soulfire (or especially Darkbomb in Wild format).
Drain Soul from the Knights of the Frozen Throne expansion is 1 mana cheaper than Drain Life, and unlike Drain Life its damage and healing both scale with Spell Damage. However, Drain Soul can only target minions, whereas Drain Life can also target heroes.
Presumably, the reason this card has not had its text changed to include Lifesteal is because of Spell Damage modifiers. A minion with Spell Damage +1 would change this card's text to; 'Deal *3* damage. Restore 2 Health to your hero.' which is no longer an example of Lifesteal, because only a portion of the damage dealt has been restored as health.
Lore[edit | edit source]
Drain Life is a warlock spell from World of Warcraft. A channeled ability, the spell deals a small amount of Shadow damage to the target while slowly restoring the warlock's health. It is often used on feared targets to restore the warlock's health without breaking the fear effect.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- This card's flavor text is a quote from the cult classic 1973 novel The Princess Bride, best known for its 1987 film adaptation.
- The artwork for this card comes from the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game "Drums of War" series, for the card Drain Will.