|Wiki tags:||Spell-related, Triggered effect|
What's the difference between a mage playing with Counterspell and a mage who isn't? The mage who isn't is getting Pyroblasted in the face.
How to get
Two copies of regular Counterspell (Core) are obtained for raising mage to level 6.
Two copies of golden Counterspell (Core) are obtained for winning 100 games as mage.
- Regular Counterspell could also be obtained as a first-time reward for first time reaching Silver 10 and Gold 10 in Ranked mode from April 1, 2020 to March 25, 2021 (or as a reward of Climbing the Ranks (2/10) and (4/10) achievements).
- Counterspell may be used preemptively to prevent the next spell cast by an opponent. When the opponent plays a spell card, Counterspell will activate; the spell will then fail to take effect. Counterspell also prevents the spell from completing its 'casting' phase, preventing post-spell casting triggers from activating. The results of this are:
- The spell card will still be consumed and its mana cost expended. However, any Overload will not be applied, since Overload is part of the card's text, not its cost.
- Since patch 11.2.0, any effects which activate from the spell being cast or completed will not be triggered. This includes both 'whenever you cast a spell' as well as 'after you cast a spell' effects.
- Counterspell will successfully counter Flare. The Flare will not take effect, will not destroy any other Secrets or remove Stealth from minions, and will not draw the player a card.
- Counterspell will not trigger from activation of Secrets. However, Counterspell can prevent Secrets from being cast, since they are spell cards, and will also reveal the cast Secret.
- Counterspell will only counter spells directly played by the enemy player. Other sources that cast spells (Ex. Yogg-Saron, Hope's End, The Runespear, Zul'jin) are not countered.
- When Counterspell counters Fist of Jaraxxus, its discard-related effect is not triggered. It is unknown if this is a bug or intended.
- If your Overload spell is stopped by Counterspell, regardless of order of play, Unbound Elemental will still trigger (since you played a card with Overload), but you will not gain any Overload, meaning your Tunnel Troggs will not trigger.
- Counterspell beats "whenever" and "after" triggers.
- For a few weeks during Patch 22.214.171.12433 (LoE patch), playing a minion or spell with Overload caused you to become Overloaded the moment the card is paid for. For example, if Counterspell counters your Lightning Bolt, you were still Overloaded. (Normally Overload occurs in the Battlecry Phase/Spell Text Phase.)
- Until Patch 126.96.36.19933 (LoE patch), Counterspell would trigger Tiny Knight of Evil.
The secret can be played to prevent board clears through spells such as Flamestrike. It makes sense to play Counterspell the turn before the spell can be cast. If the opponent then tries to cast a spell that gets countered, it will still use their mana which then guarantees a weak turn. Counterspell can also be set up if you want to prevent healing spells such as Lay on Hands to finish the game faster.
Since Counterspell is a secret, it synergizes with minions such as Mad Scientist or Arcanologist, that can draw the card from your deck, or Inconspicuous Rider, which can cast it outright. Comboing the secret with minions like Kirin Tor Mage or Kabal Crystal Runner can provide you with a tempo advantage while also protecting your minions from spells.
Counterspell is a mage spell from World of Warcraft which interrupts a target's spellcasting, locking them out of that school of magic for several seconds. Higher levels of the ability also silence the target for a few seconds. The spell also features in the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game.
- The artwork for this card comes from the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game "March of the Legion" series, for the card Magistrix Tibrana.
- This is the only card that uses the Counter ability. Despite this, Counter does feature its own tooltip when inspected in the hand, which can be seen to the right.
- Year of the Gryphon rotation (2021-03-30): Moved from Classic to Legacy set.
- Patch 188.8.131.52662 (2021-03-25):
- Now has Arcane spell school (previously: no spell school).
- Fixed a bug where Sparkjoy Cheat casting a secret from your hand would trigger an opponent’s Counterspell and still put the secret into play. It will now no longer trigger Counterspell.
- Patch 184.108.40.20617 (2017-10-17): Spells that are canceled by Counterspell will now trigger any “Whenever you cast a spell” and “After you cast a spell” effects.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IckaFHxS5AA Tested in Patch 220.127.116.1156 (2015-12-04)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax4U6dDIlws&t=0m50s Tested in Patch 18.104.22.16886 (TGT patch)
- Daxxari (June 5, 2018). Update 11.2 – June 5. Retrieved on 2018-08-04.
- http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/forum/topic/19877077551?page=1#4 Tested in Patch 22.214.171.12433 (LoE patch)
- Ben Brode on Twitter. (2015-11-16).