What's the difference between a mage playing with Counterspell and a mage who isn't? The mage who isn't is getting Pyroblasted in the face.
How to get
|Card packs||Regular, Golden||1~2|
Two copies of golden Counterspell (Core) are obtained for winning 100 games as mage.
- Regular Counterspell could also be obtained as a first-time reward for first time reaching Silver 10 and Gold 10 in Ranked mode from April 1, 2020 to March 25, 2021 (or as a reward of Climbing the Ranks (2/10) and (4/10) achievements).
- Counterspell may be used preemptively to prevent the next spell cast by an opponent. When the opponent plays a spell card, Counterspell will activate; the spell will then fail to take effect. Counterspell also prevents the spell from completing its 'casting' phase, preventing post-spell casting triggers from activating. The results of this are:
- The spell card will still be consumed and its mana cost expended. However, any Overload will not be applied, since Overload is part of the card's text, not its cost.
- Since patch 11.2.0, any effects which activate from the spell being cast or completed will not be triggered. This includes both 'whenever you cast a spell' as well as 'after you cast a spell' effects.
- Counterspell will successfully counter . The Flare will not take effect, will not destroy any other Secrets or remove Stealth from minions, and will not draw the player a card.
- Counterspell will not trigger from activation of Secrets. However, Counterspell can prevent Secrets from being cast, since they are spell cards, and will also reveal the cast Secret.
- Counterspell will only counter spells directly played by the enemy player. Other sources that cast spells (Ex. , , ) are not countered.
- When Counterspell counters , its discard-related effect is not triggered. It is unknown if this is a bug or intended.
- If your Overload spell is stopped by Counterspell, regardless of order of play, will still trigger (since you played a card with Overload), but you will not gain any Overload, meaning your Tunnel Troggs will not trigger.
- Counterspell beats "whenever" and "after" triggers.
- For a few weeks during Patch 18.104.22.16833 (LoE patch), playing a minion or spell with Overload caused you to become Overloaded the moment the card is paid for. For example, if Counterspell counters your , you were still Overloaded. (Normally Overload occurs in the Battlecry Phase/Spell Text Phase.)
- Until Patch 22.214.171.12433 (LoE patch), Counterspell would trigger .
The secret can be played to prevent board clears through spells such as . It makes sense to play Counterspell the turn before the spell can be cast. If the opponent then tries to cast a spell that gets countered, it will still use their mana which then guarantees a weak turn. Counterspell can also be set up if you want to prevent healing spells such as to finish the game faster.
Since Counterspell is a secret, it synergizes with minions such as or , that can draw the card from your deck, or , which can cast it outright. Comboing the secret with minions like or can provide you with a tempo advantage while also protecting your minions from spells.
When attempting to counter Counterspell, try casting a weak or unimportant spell first. and Spare Parts are excellent choices for this.
Counterspell is a mage spell from World of Warcraft which interrupts a target's spellcasting, locking them out of that school of magic for several seconds. Higher levels of the ability also silence the target for a few seconds. The spell also features in the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game.
- The artwork for this card comes from the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game "March of the Legion" series, for the card Magistrix Tibrana.
- Year of the Gryphon rotation (2021-03-30): Moved from Classic to Legacy set.
- Patch 126.96.36.199662 (2021-03-25):
- Patch 188.8.131.5217 (2017-10-17): Spells that are canceled by Counterspell will now trigger any “Whenever you cast a spell” and “After you cast a spell” effects.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IckaFHxS5AA Tested in Patch 184.108.40.20656 (2015-12-04)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax4U6dDIlws&t=0m50s Tested in Patch 220.127.116.1186 (TGT patch)
- Daxxari (June 5, 2018). Update 11.2 – June 5. Retrieved on 2018-08-04.
- http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/forum/topic/19877077551?page=1#4 Tested in Patch 18.104.22.16833 (LoE patch)
- Ben Brode on Twitter. (2015-11-16).