Classic (formerly known as Expert) was, prior to its subsumption into the Legacy set, the largest card set in Hearthstone, with 240 collectible cards. Prior to the implementation of the Core set, the Classic set served as one of the two core card sets in Hearthstone, the other being the Basic set. The set was first made available to the public in January 2014 when beta-testing was first announced for the game, in the era of Classic Hearthstone.
The Classic set's purpose was to ground players in a core set which players will always be familiar with, in the face of an ever-changing pool of cards available to be played in Standard format. Prior to the creation of the Core set, the Classic and Basic sets were the only two permanent sets that were always available to be played in Standard format, while all other sets eventually moved over time to Wild format.
Classic cards frequently feature as core cards in successful decks, and the developers constantly monitor the power of Classic cards to ensure they do not form too large a proportion of decklists, thus causing the meta to become excessively stale. Cards are also monitored for their playability in the meta, as seen in the Priest rework in March 2020. Consequently, throughout Hearthstone's history, many major and minor card changes have been implemented in the Classic set, occasionally moving certain Classic cards to the Hall of Fame set in Wild format, with new card additions taking their place.
Since the first expansion of 2021, the Classic is deprecated and has been replaced with the Core set. Along with the Basic set, all of its cards have been moved to the Wild-restricted Legacy set.
How to get
Classic card packs could formerly be found as rewards given in the Arena, the Tavern Brawl, various quests, and periodic Hearthstone special promotion events. Classic card packs can also be obtained from the Welcome Bundle. Individual Classic cards can be found in the Highest Rank Bonus chest, for Golden cards only. Classic cards can also be crafted.
The Classic card set features 240 collectible cards, including 105 neutral cards and 135 class cards (15 for each class). Classic cards can be recognized by the iconic Hearthstone swirl behind the card text.
- Common (38 cards)
- Rare (35 cards)
- Epic (9 cards)
- Legendary (23 cards)
- Dream cards
There are a total of 135 collectible class cards in the Classic set.
- Choice cards
Four battlefields were available when the game first released.
- See also: Hearthstone timeline
- See also: Design and development of Hearthstone
- See also: Card changes
The following is a list of game-changing updates that have been implemented to the cards in the Classic set since beta. Similarly, for card changes in the Basic set, please see Card changes in the Basic set.
Patch 126.96.36.19990 (2013-10-02)
- can no longer be cast on heroes.
- costs 9 (up from 8).
- can now only hit minions. [Previously: 'Choose One - Deal 5 damage to an enemy; or 2 damage to all of them.']
- ’s Healing option now only restores 5 Health. (down from 8)
- costs 1 (down from 3), and must target a single minion. [Previously: 'Deal damage equal to your hero's Attack to all enemy minions.']
- – Now only triggers from your own Beasts. [Previously also triggered from enemy Beasts]
- has 1 more Attack. [Now a 3/2, up from a 2/2]
- – Now also doubles the damage and healing of your Hero Power. [Previously only spells]
- – now a 4/5 (up from 3/4).
- has 1 more Health. [Now a 0/5, up from a 0/4]
- now costs 1 more. [Now costs 3, up from 2]
- – Now reduces next spell cost by 3 (up from 2).
- has 1 less Health. [Now a 2/2, down from a 2/3]
- costs 1 Mana (up from 0).
- costs 3 Mana (up from 2).
- is now a 2/2, but no longer has Stealth. [Previously a 1/1 with 'Stealth. Combo: Gain +2/+2 for each other card played this turn.']
- - Now a 5/6 with ‘Battlecry: Deal 5 damage to your hero’. [Previously a 7/5 with 'Battlecry: Deal 7 damage to your hero.']
- has 1 more Health. [Now a 2/2, up from a 2/1]
- ’s +2 Attack effect no longer goes away at the end of the turn.
- costs 3 (up from 2), and also counts damaged heroes.
- has 1 more Attack. [Now a 2/4, up from a 1/4]
- now costs 2 (up from 1) and also draws you a card.
- now only gives adjacent minions Taunt. Previously: Battlecry: Your other minions gain Taunt.
- – Now a 2/2 (was a 1/3).
- Pint-sized Summoner – The cost reduction has been reduced from 2 to 1.
- has 1 more Attack. [Now a 4/7, up from a 3/7]
- has 1 less Attack. [Now a 0/4, down from a 1/4]
- is now 9/7 (was 10/6).
- now gains +2 Attack per heal. [Previously gained +1]
- is now a 4/1 with ‘Battlecry: Gain +1 Health for each card in your hand.’ [Previously: a 1/1 with 'Battlecry: Gain +1/+1 for each card in your hand.']
- is now a 5/4 with ‘Battlecry: Give your weapon +1/+1.’ [Previously a 5/5 with 'Whenever you attack with your hero, draw a card.']
Patch 188.8.131.5237 (2013-10-17)
Patch 184.108.40.20617 (2013-12-10)
- has been reworked and now reads: “(4) For each enemy minion, summon a 1/1 Hound with Charge”.
- ’s Battlecry now deals 3 damage (up from 2).
- is now a 4/2 (was a 4/3).
Patch 220.127.116.1143 (2013-12-18)
Patch 18.104.22.16858 (2014-01-16)
- now costs 2 (down from 4)
- now costs 10 (up from 8)
- is now a 0/1 (down from 1/1) and now reads: Stealth. At the end of your turn, give another random friendly minion +1 Health. [Previously: Stealth. Your other minions have +1 Health.]
Patch 22.214.171.12444 (2014-03-11)
- is now a 3/3 (up from 2/2) and now reads: Battlecry: Transform another random minion into a 5/5 Devilsaur or a 1/1 Squirrel. [Previously: Battlecry: Transform a minion into a 5/5 Devilsaur or a 1/1 Squirrel at random.]
- now reads: At the start of your turn, you have a 50% chance to draw an extra card. [Previously: At the end of your turn, you have a 50% chance to draw a card.]
Patch 126.96.36.19914 (2014-05-08)
Patch 188.8.131.5224 (2014-07-22)
Patch 184.108.40.20685 (2014-09-22)
Patch 220.127.116.1134 (2014-12-04)
- now costs 2 (up from 1)
- now costs 6 (up from 5)
- can no longer target enemy Beasts. Text now reads "Give a friendly Beast +2 Attack and Immune this turn." Previously "Give a Beast +2 Attack and Immune this turn."
- 9 mechanical minions were changed to Mechs, previously having no minion type: , , , , , and all of 's inventions: , , and .
- The druid minions resulting from 's Choose One effect were changed to Beasts: and .
Patch 18.104.22.16811 (2015-03-31)
- can now summon any collectible Demon. [Previously limited to Blood Imp, Voidwalker, Flame Imp, Dread Infernal, Succubus and Felguard]
Patch 22.214.171.12466 (2015-06-15)
- (created by when the opponent's deck has no minions remaining in it) no longer has a hidden triggered effect which destroys itself at the end of the turn.
Patch 126.96.36.19974 (2016-04-24)
- - Card text changed from "Choose One - Draw 2 cards; or Restore 5 Health." to "Choose One - Draw a card; or Restore 5 Health."
- - Cost reduced from 6 to 5. Card text changed from "Summon three 2/2 Treants with Charge that die at the end of the turn." to "Summon three 2/2 Treants." Treants summoned by this spell no longer have Charge but no longer die at the end of the turn.
- - Changed from a 2/4 to a 2/2.
- - Cost increased from 2 to 3.
- - Cost increased from 3 to 5.
- - Cost increased from 2 to 4. Card text changed from "Destroy your weapon and deal its damage to all enemies." to "Destroy your weapon and deal its damage to all enemy minions."
- - Changed from a 3/2 to a 2/2.
- - Changed from a 2/1 to a 1/1.
- - Changed from a 4/2 to a 4/4. No longer has Charge.
- - Cost increased from 20 to 25.
- - Card text changed from "Battlecry: Give a friendly minion Stealth." to "Battlecry: Give a friendly minion Stealth until your next turn."
Patch 188.8.131.5230 (2016-10-03)
Patch 184.108.40.20681 (2016-10-20)
- now reads "Battlecry: Give your other Murlocs +2 Health."
- now reads "Whenever you summon a Murloc, gain +1 Attack."
- now reads "Your other Murlocs have +2/+1."
Patch 220.127.116.1136 (2017-04-04)
- , , , , , and moved to the Hall of Fame.
- 9 minions that previously had no subtype have now gained the Elemental subtype: , , , , , , , , and .
Patch 18.104.22.16870 (2017-09-18)
Patch 22.214.171.12466 (2018-04-10)
- , , and are moved to the Hall of Fame. In addition, Molten Giant is being reduced to its original mana cost of 20, down from 25.
Patch 126.96.36.19952 (2018-07-10)
- and are now Elementals.
Patch 188.8.131.52358 (2018-10-18)
Patch 184.108.40.206405 (2018-11-05)
Patch 220.127.116.11329 (2018-12-19)
Patch 18.104.22.168855 (2019-02-05)
Patch 22.214.171.124933 (2019-04-09)
Patch 126.96.36.199761 (2019-07-01)
- Seven new cards added to the Classic set: , , , , , , , .
- , , , , , have received new card art.
Patch 188.8.131.52222 (2020-03-26)
- , , , and are moved to the Hall of Fame.
- , , , and are added to the Classic set.
- - Now costs 2 mana, down from 3.
- - Now costs 3 mana, down from 4.
- - Stats changed to 5/6 from 6/6. Now costs 5 mana, down from 6.
- Illidan Stormrage is replaced with .
- , , , , are moved to the Hall of Fame.
Patch 184.108.40.206828 (2021-01-08)
Patch 220.127.116.11662 (2021-03-25)
- Deprecated and replaced with the Core set. All Classic cards were moved to the Legacy set in Wild format.
(Expansions / Adventures / Mini-sets)