C'Thun, the Shattered
|Set:||Madness at the Darkmoon Faire|
|Abilities:||Battlecry, Deal damage, Generate, Remove from deck, Shuffle into deck, Start of Game|
|Artist:||Alex Horley Orlandelli|
Start of Game: Break into pieces. Battlecry: Deal 30 damage randomly split among all enemies.
My grandfather's deck has no useless cards!
How to get[edit | edit source]
|C'Thun, the Shattered||1600||400|
|Golden C'Thun, the Shattered||3200||1600|
Pieces of C'Thun[edit | edit source]
Summoned minion[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- At the Start of Game, C'Thun, the Shattered is removed from player's deck. The four pieces of C'Thun, (Body of C'Thun, Eye of C'Thun, Heart of C'Thun and Maw of C'Thun) are then shuffled into the player's deck.
- After playing all four pieces successfully, C'Thun, the Shattered is shuffled into player's deck.
- C'Thun, the Shattered cannot be randomly generated or Discovered.
- It is impossible to draw C'Thun, the Shattered during mulligan.
- In these scenarios, Pieces of C'Thun will not advance the counter:
- If there are multiple C'Thuns, the Shattered in the starting deck (not possible in constructed, but possible in Arena and some Tavern Brawls), they will all trigger and shuffle a separate set of four spells for each C'Thun. While the animation of C'Thun breaking will be shown only once, the shuffling animation will be shown the correct number of times.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
C'Thun, the Shattered should be put in a slow deck that expects the game to go long, especially against other similarly slow decks. C'Thun's Battlecry provides a simple win condition for decks that may not otherwise have one. He's also useful for delaying fatigue, adding up to 4 cards to your deck for no cost.
The main weakness of this card is the inefficiency of each body part. While the four cards are okay, this does force you to run four 'merely okay' 5-mana spells, which can seriously hurt your deck's consistency. You may want to lean more heavily on card draw and early game survival cards than you otherwise would when building a deck centred around C'Thun, as he will cover your midgame by himself. You should seriously avoid other 5-mana cards unless they're absolutely crucial to your deck.
Rogues can make a shuffle-based deck that's highly synergistic with C'Thun. The four shuffled pieces and C'thun can be drawn with Stowaway, and the parts give a mana discount to Malevolent Strike, giving you a 1-mana hard removal as early as the first turn.
Druids can make a draw-based deck that aims to assemble C'Thun as quickly as possible using large draw effects like Nourish and Overflow and cards that cheapen them like Kael'thas Sunstrider and Lunar Eclipse.
Playing Lorekeeper Polkelt with no 5 drops or more in your deck will stack all 4 pieces of C'Thun on the top of your deck. However, C'Thun, the Shattered will be shuffled into your deck, breaking Polkelt's effect and leaving you with no way to guarantee drawing him.
Always test your opponent's Secrets before playing a piece of C'Thun. Counterspell can instantly destroy a Win condition and leave you with just the 3 or less 'ok' cards with no real value. Treat this card's effects like Rin, the First Disciple. While a Mage can't get their own C'Thun, they can still throw you through a whole heap of issues should you mess up your combo.
It is worth noting that playing a C'Thun against an opponent which has enough health on board to withstand the 30 damage will usually result in C'Thun wiping the board. Even fairly large minions, with 7-9 health will be unlikely to survive, as long as there are no more than a couple of them.
Since C'Thun, the Shattered leaves your deck at the start of the game and the Pieces of C'Thun are spells, having this minion in your starting deck won't disable "if your deck has no minions" synergies like Font of Power. For this reason, C'Thun, the Shattered works nicely with spell-only decks such as Spell Mage and (in Wild) Spell Hunter.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- ▶️<Ahn'Qiraj Interior>
- ▶️My awakening brings a new age. Pray to your gods, that your pleas may go unanswered.
- ▶️My awakening brings upon a new age.[Unused]
- Effect triggering
- ▶️I see... your weakness.[Successfully playing Eye of C'Thun]
- ▶️Your heart... sinks.[Successfully playing Heart of C'Thun]
- ▶️I will break... your body.[Successfully playing Body of C'Thun]
- ▶️I taste... your fear.[Successfully playing Maw of C'Thun]
- ▶️The... END.
- ▶️<death sound>
Lore[edit | edit source]
For general lore, see C'Thun.
This card's mechanics resemble C'Thun's original boss encounter in the Temple of Ahn'Qiraj. Players would have to fight his body parts individually, starting with his eye before moving onto his body and occasionally fighting inside his stomach. The Heart of C'Thun is unique to Hearthstone, but visually resembles the Heart of Y'Shaarj.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- C'Thun, the Shattered's flavor text refers to an oft-quoted scene in the first episode of Yu-Gi-Oh!, where the protagonist Yugi Muto/Yami Yugi faces off his rival Seto Kaiba. After Kaiba mocks Yugi for using his grandfather's deck, Yugi declares, "My grandpa's deck has no pathetic cards, Kaiba." He then proceeds to draw Exodia the Forbidden One, adding, "But it does contain - the unstoppable Exodia!" The alternate win condition effect of the card then triggers, allowing Yugi to win the duel.
- C'Thun, the Shattered is similarly based on the iconic Exodia, which requires the player to draw into the shattered pieces of Exodia (represented by five cards) to instantly win the duel.
- C'Thun, the Shattered's original entry quote in pre-release was "My awakening brings upon a new age." It was presumably lengthened to match its long Battlecry animation.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 18.104.22.168003 (2021-01-21): Fixed a bug where the 'Created by' tag on pieces of C'Thun was showing up as ‘UNKNOWN ENTITY’ when played.
- Patch 22.214.171.124614 (2020-11-12): Added.
References[edit | edit source]
- Chadd Nervig on Twitter. (2020-10-22).
- [https://twitter.com/Celestalon/status/1323460172157612032 Chadd Nervig on Twitter]. (2020-11-03).
- [https://twitter.com/Celestalon/status/1324930114136666113 Chadd Nervig on Twitter]. (2020-11-06).