|Set:||One Night in Karazhan|
|Tags:||Cost-related, Durability-related, Random, Triggered effect|
After you cast a spell, summon a random minion of that Cost. Lose 1 Durability.
For more information, see Medivh, the Guardian.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
One thing worth noting is that the minion summoned is based on the USED mana cost of the spell, not the base cost. So a 10-mana spell which is cast for 0 mana results in a 0 mana minion being summoned.
This means regardless of how good the spell is, it's better to have it be a higher mana cost to use the staff later in the game to summon a better minion.
This is an important consideration especially with dice which can cause spells to cost largely different mana amounts.
Equipped by[edit | edit source]
Lore[edit | edit source]
- Atiesh, Greatstaff of the Guardian is a powerful staff originally wielded by Medivh, the last Guardian of Tirisfal. It is currently wielded by Khadgar. The staff was born from the "seed of hate" and grants its wielder "power unending". It was passed down by each Guardian of Tirisfal to its successor.
- Atiesh can be used to open up portals to Karazhan and is also known for attracting ravens towards the wielder.
- Following the assassination of Medivh, the staff was brought to Dalaran where it was held by successive members of the Kirin Tor, who all found their deaths soon (except for highborne sorcerer Tarsis Kir-Moldir, it appears). After all these deaths, it was decided that the staff was to be put "behind impenetrable barriers of magic" and a "watcher" was appointed: Angela Dosantos. The shattering of the staff came about following the destruction of Dalaran by Archimonde, probably due to the failsafe system of the magical barrier. Atiesh was shattered into forty-two pieces which were scattered across all of Azeroth. Brann Bronzebeard held the Base of Atiesh, which he somehow lost to C'Thun. The Scourge captured the forty-one other pieces, twenty of which were initially held by Tarsis. Forty pieces of Atiesh were each entrusted to a different lieutenant of Kel'Thuzad within Naxxramas, while the fallen mage himself held the staff's head.
- When Naxxramas appeared over the Eastern Plaguelands, the Argent Dawn attempted to prevent this powerful focus of power from falling into the hands of the necromancer-lich, Kel'Thuzad, and were apparently successful in their mission.
- Later, Meryl Winterstorm sent Garona Halforcen on a mission to retrieve the base of the shattered staff from within the remains of C'Thun. Garona succeeded and gave the base to Med'an, who restored the whole staff simply by holding it while being imbued with the powers of the New Council of Tirisfal.
- During the War against the Iron Horde, Medivh's former apprentice Khadgar is seen wielding Atiesh. It is unclear how he has obtained it, as it was last seen in Med'an's possession. The most likely answer is Med'an gave it to him for one reason or another, as Med'an seems to have stepped down from his role as Guardian.
- Khadgar continues to use it in Legion.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Unknown Patch Is now a Legendary card.
- Patch 18.104.22.16821 (2016-08-09): Added.