|Set:||The League of Explorers|
|Artist:||Alex Horley Orlandelli|
|Voice actor:||Adam Grifford|
Battlecry: Discover a powerful Artifact.
He's very good at retrieving artifacts. From other people's museums.
- For Rafaam's other appearances, see Rafaam (disambiguation).
How to get[edit | edit source]
|Golden Arch-Thief Rafaam||3200||1600|
Generated cards[edit | edit source]
Artifacts[edit | edit source]
Summoned minions[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- As a Discover effect, this minion's Battlecry allows the player to choose one of the three above options to place into their hand. Unlike other Discover effects the same selection is provided each time Rafaam is played.
- While the order of the three choices is in a fixed order, it will be randomized for your opponent, therefore they cannot see what artifact you picked.
- Each missile is resolved (queuing and resolving triggered effects, such as that of Acolyte of Pain) before the next one is shot.
- As with all random effects, the missiles can hit any enemy, including Immune targets (which will however suffer no damage), Stealthed minions and the enemy hero.
- Characters which have been mortally wounded by earlier missiles or destroyed by triggered effects like Acidmaw will not be selected as targets for subsequent missiles (thus preventing missiles from dealing 'overkill' damage to targets that have already been destroyed by earlier missiles).
- Bonuses from Spell Damage and Prophet Velen will increase the total damage of this spell, not the damage dealt by each missile: for example, with Spell Damage +2 this spell will shoot 2 extra missiles, each one still dealing just 1 damage.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
This card's power is in its generated Artifact cards which you would choose based on the situation:
- Lantern of Power is best as a finisher as it lets you deal 10 damage (17 if Rafaam is still alive) to your opponent if they don't have a Taunt. This is the riskiest Artifact to pick because if your opponent fully destroys your board after Rafaam is played it becomes useless. In addition, a surprise Silence could also easily negate this; not to mention mind control effects which could make you regret using it at all.
- Mirror of Doom is good if you are behind on the board compared to your enemy. This card forces them to respond in a big way to your board as the following turn they face 21 damage from your board (25 if Rafaam is still alive). This is less risky than the Lantern of Power, but its risk is how slow the play is as the Mummy Zombies don't become useful until the turn after Mirror of Doom is played. Be careful playing this against AoE removal, since the Mummies can be wiped out by options like Flamestrike and Hellfire, or either Holy Nova or Consecration with Spell Damage.
- Timepiece of Horror is good when you have a need for a quicker answer to deal with your enemies' board than the Mirror of Doom. Of the 3 Artifacts this is the safest to pick up as the card has almost no chance of becoming a dead card in hand but its effect (in terms of how much it affects the game) is also the weakest of the 3. This can be compared to Mask of C'Thun, which deals the same damage for less mana.
Rafaam is at his best when you pick up the Artifact you think you will need next turn, based on the current state of the game and what you think the state will be next turn (assuming Rafaam was played on your turn 9). If you have Naga Sea Witch on your board, you can play both Rafaam and the discovered artifact on turn 10. This reduces the risk that the chosen artifact becomes useless during your opponent's turn.
Artifacts can be quite useful if played with Atiesh equipped, due to their high cost. Note that this synergy is not possible if Mirror of Doom is played, as the board will be full.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- I am Rafaam, the supreme archaeologist.
- Yes! YES!
Lore[edit | edit source]
For the lore of this card, see Rafaam (Lore).
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- As of its addition with The League of Explorers, the Lantern of Power offers the largest minion enchantment in the game, offering a +10/+10 buff.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
- Patch 126.96.36.19933 (2015-11-10): Added.