|Set:||The Grand Tournament|
|Abilities:||Deathrattle, Return to hand, Summon|
|Voice actor:||Darin De Paul|
Deathrattle: Return this to your hand and summon a 4/4 Nerubian.
Was actually a pretty nice guy before, you know, the whole Lich King thing.
How to get[edit | edit source]
Summoned minions[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Combining Anub'arak's Deathrattle with Baron Rivendare will summon 2 Nerubians but will only return 1 copy of Anub'arak to the hand. For a similar reason, Feign Death will return Anub'arak to your hand from the battlefield, rather than create a copy for your hand.
- Despite this minion's return effect Deathrattle, additional Deathrattles such as Ancestral Spirit and Soul of the Forest will activate upon Anub'arak's death. (This is in contrast to Malorne, for whom such added Deathrattles will not activate.)
- Anub'arak's Deathrattle does not cancel out the fact that it did die. On-death triggers like Cult Master still run, and effects like N'Zoth, the Corruptor and Kel'Thuzad can summon a copy of Anub'arak for each time one has died this game. (Malorne and The Skeleton Knight work similarly.)
Fixed bugs[edit | edit source]
- Prior to Patch 220.127.116.1133 (LoE patch), if your hand had 9 cards, you had Baron Rivendare on the field and Anub'arak's Deathrattle activated, Anub'arak would discard himself. This happened because the check for max hand size is done when Anub'arak moves from the hand back into the hand, without discounting Anub'arak himself.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Best used in a control rogue deck. If your opponent cannot neutralize its effect with Silence or Transform, you will generate board value each time Anub'arak gets destroyed. Also, with the large amount of Rogue Deathrattle cards available, this will fit nicely into a Rogue Deathrattle deck.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- From the depths I come!
- Oblivion awaits.
- I'll be back.
Lore[edit | edit source]
- "I was king of this empire once, long ago. In life I stood as champion. In death I returned as conqueror. Now I protect the kingdom once more. Ironic, yes?"
- Anub'arak was the last king of the nerubian empire of Azjol-Nerub. He was among the nerubians slaughtered in the War of the Spider and later raised by Ner'zhul the Lich King as an undead crypt lord to do his bidding. When the Lich King began losing his powers, Anub'arak assisted Arthas Menethil in reaching Icecrown before Illidan Stormrage's forces. For years, the undead nerubian continued carrying out his master's will in the ruins of his former kingdom until he was slain by adventurers. He was later raised once more and relocated to the caverns below Icecrown to plague the Argent Tournament, but the so-called traitor king met his final end at the hands of adventurers partaking in the tournament.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Anub'arak is also depicted on the art for Guardian of Icecrown, a Boss minion used in Curse of Naxxramas.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Patch changes[edit | edit source]
Patch 18.104.22.16886 (2015-08-18): Added.
References[edit | edit source]
- Whirthun on Twitter. (2015-08-06).
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twZrV3A3TBA Tested in Patch 22.214.171.12457 (Mech War Tavern Brawl patch)