|Set:||The League of Explorers|
|Abilities:||Battlecry, Generate, Shuffle into deck|
|Wiki tags:||Casts When Drawn-generating, Spell-generating|
Warning: Do not expose to direct sunlight.
How to get
|Golden Ancient Shade||800||100|
- Ancient Curse's triggered effect has multiple steps:
- First, it deals damage, queuing and resolving triggers;
- Then, although not stated in either card's text, the card self-destructs and is removed from the game;
- Finally, it draws a replacement card, queuing and resolving triggers.
- Like all on-draw effects, Ancient Curse will only activate when it is successfully drawn into the player's hand. If it is overdrawn due to the player's hand being full, or is discarded by a card effect or Tracking, it will be removed from the game, and no damage will be dealt and no card will be drawn.
- Ancient Curse can be cast as a spell (for example, copies created by Chromaggus or Thoughtsteal) but it does not have any effect since the copy itself is not drawn.
- Similarly to all other on-draw triggered effect, although being a spell, Ancient Curse does not have its damage increased by either player's Spell Damage or Prophet Velen.
- However, as with all other spells, damage dealt by Ancient Curse will trigger Hallazeal the Ascended.
This is a good option for aggro decks. Its 7 Attack and decent 4 Health make it a terrifying early game presence, countered by the Ancient Curse card it shuffles into the player's deck. However, in decks aiming to win quickly, the Ancient Curse is unlikely to be drawn before the end of the match, effectively removing the drawback. Aggro decks also tend to care less about their own Health, focused purely on dealing damage. There is also the possibility of using cards like Fel Reaver, Tracking, and the Golden Monkey to attempt to completely negate its drawback by simply removing the Ancient Curse.
In slower decks the Ancient Shade can still provide good value, but also runs the risk of a shock later on.
The biggest drawback to Ancient Shade is that it is still extremely easy to remove, with only 4 Health leaving it vulnerable to poor trades against the likes of Piloted Shredder or removal by Flamecannon, and its 7 Attack opening it up to Big Game Hunter. If the opponent removes the Shade before it can attack, the player will still run the risk of suffering the Ancient Curse.
- Ah, ancient curse.
- Shades are disembodied spirits and are similar to ghosts in that they are the spectral remains of a once-living person. These often restless spirits are mostly found in the Plaguelands, other undead-infested areas, and the village surrounding the mysterious tower of Karazhan. Because they do not have a real body, some shades are immune to physical damage.
- Patch 220.127.116.1133 (2015-11-10): Added.